Ghillie's Keezer Build Thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marine ply backing for the space heater. I know, a bizarre concept for a keezer. But it hit -14C here a couple months back so my unheated garage needs it.

FWIW, I tried to gorilla glue the mounts straight on but they wouldn't bite against the rough freezer surface. So ply my pal was throwing out did the job. Heaps of silicone in behind it, stuck like *****.

View attachment 18123

Have you checked that heater is allowed to be mounted vertically? I think a lot of space heaters say they need to be mounted horizontally.

Cracking job on the build though and pretty much what I want to do. Just need to find a convenient time for a freezer to be delivered as unfortunately I can't find anything second-hand in the size I need.

You might want longer beer lines than that. I have about 2-3m coiled up for each keg, I was getting alot of foam before.

Mine isnt quite as neat inside but does the job!

20190213_220945.jpg

You might want longer beer lines than that. I have about 2-3m coiled up for each keg, I was getting alot of foam before.

Mine isnt quite as neat inside but does the job!

View attachment 18161
Beer line lengths are sound @xozz, no foam or fobbing. Note that they're 3/16 OD at around 1m, not 3/8 OD or 1/4 ID.

Have you checked that heater is allowed to be mounted vertically? I think a lot of space heaters say they need to be mounted horizontally.

Cracking job on the build though and pretty much what I want to do. Just need to find a convenient time for a freezer to be delivered as unfortunately I can't find anything second-hand in the size I need.
*****! I just saw that they're not meant to be mounted vertically. Thanks for pointing that out bud. Shall make a point of putting it horizontal today. Probably on the collar somewhere.

No worries. Wondering if you need something above the heater to stop the plastic on the lid melting?
You can grab them heaters with your hand. There’s a gap between the lid also so hoping we’ll be okay.

I have one of those tube heaters and i cannot touch it when its been on a few minutes, maybe worth keeping an eye on the first time you use it in its new position.

Looks grand and well executed.

From what I've read, a lot of people improve the efficiency of the system by insulating the collar with some polystyrene panels or similar. Might be worth thinking about.

Only question I have is why, with all that space, you didn't go for a bigger one! wink...

Is that your pump list on the wall?
Yeah just a quick scribbled list for my own personal reference.

I had ordered a magnetic "black" board; but when it arrived months later than planned; it was actually brown...

Think I'll source a framed blackboard for the wall - should look quite smart.

Looks grand and well executed.

From what I've read, a lot of people improve the efficiency of the system by insulating the collar with some polystyrene panels or similar. Might be worth thinking about.

Only question I have is why, with all that space, you didn't go for a bigger one! wink...
Thanks Bezza!

I did price up the insulation for it in B&Q, but thought for this first run with a second hand freezer, I'd try without and see how it goes. With a set point of 3C and a differential of 2C, the freezer didn't even cut in every hour! I was amazed and just how little the temperature changed. It is cool in my garage just now, probably about 8C - so will interesting to see how it performs in the summer time when it's slightly warmer. But, so far it would appear that the wood in itself is doing a fine job of insulating. I think if the freezer were inside; or elsewhere where higher temperatures are common place; then insulation would help keep the warmth out.

When this freezer packs up, I will be going for a freezer that can fit 8 kegs minimum:laugh8:

It's a white background with coloured letters that either slot in a groove or may be magnetic...
Peg board letters....loads on eBay..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back