Give UK workers four more bank holidays a year, says TUC

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Workers in England and Wales are being fobbed off with a "stingy" number of bank holidays, say trades unions.

They get eight public holidays a year, which is four fewer than the EU average and half the number in Japan.
The umbrella body for unions, the TUC, is calling for a new public holiday between September and Christmas.
It would be "a great way to thank working Britain for getting us through these tough times," TUC general secretary Frances O'Grady said.
"The August Bank Holiday will be a welcome break for everyone working hard to get us through the pandemic - especially those on the front line," said Ms O'Grady.
"But after August, there's no national holiday until Christmas. And that's because the number of holidays we get is so stingy compared to other nations."

Even in Scotland, with nine bank holidays, and Northern Ireland which has 10 public holidays, the situation is only slightly better.

A spokesman for the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy said: "The current pattern of public and bank holidays is well established and whilst an additional bank holiday may benefit some communities and sectors, the cost to the economy of an additional bank holiday is considerable."
According to the TUC every EU-member is more generous than the UK when it comes to public holidays.
Several countries including Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia and Finland give 15 days off. The EU average is 12.8 days a year, the TUC said.
Japan's workers enjoy 17 days off a year but New Zealanders only get 11.
The TUC says all UK workers should get at least 12 public holidays and is calling for a wider debate on the issue.
"It's time for a national conversation - when should our new holidays be? What might they celebrate?" added Ms O'Grady.
"An autumn holiday to break the long stretch to Christmas would be a good start."
Those who have to work on bank holidays are entitled to be paid a premium or receive time off in lieu, the TUC said.

Bank holidays are created under the Banking and Financial Dealings Act 1971, or are created by royal proclamation - that is, by the Queen, who acts on government advice.
The department responsible for bank holidays is the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.
Bank holidays are not actually statutory holidays, although most workers do get the day off.

Give UK workers four more bank holidays a year, says TUC - BBC News

So they get 11-12 public holidays in the USA, however the average amount of paid holiday given by most firms is around 10 days.

Obvious what would happen if we suddenly got extra public holidays, companies would just adjust the amount of paid leave on offer to compensate when drawing up new contracts, after all they only have to offer a statutory 20 days not including public holidays. Most decent firms offer 25 days leave or more at the moment (I get 25).

I reckon half the population have to work on bank holidays nowadays. 'weekends' are becoming a thing of the past. I think that this impacts upon family and community life, and is driven by a culture where we want everything available to us at all times.

The way things are going I reckon in a few years ANY "paid" holiday will become "A thing of the past".

The employment terms for todays young people are grossly inferior to mine when I was a young man in the early 70s.

For heavens sake I got an actual staff SALARY from British Steel to go to "Uni".
No need for student loans in my day.
Other could get grants.
We also had Apprentices with guaranteed jobs for them after training.

Not a perfect world I admit but better than todays zero hrs,and hire and fire dog eat dog operations.

Back