Going to Swap to a Corny Keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just started brewing again and though I would take the corny route. So got the kegs and the kegerator but didn't realise how difficult it would be to source a co2 supplier for the home brewer. In the East Midlands if anyone knows of a supplier.
I was told on here about how to find my local supplier, but just read the paperwork and its www.hobbyweld.co.uk they have a UK wide dealer network and it was so easy getting my cylinder, never even had to show id like I expected, more expensive for the gas than I could have got but no monthly rental so happy, may sort you out?

You're not the first, and certainly won't be the last. Just so damned convenient. Very good value for money too.
Just found thehomebrewcompany have 3 refurbed A grade for £153 and other 3 at £120 that I suspect are a bit battered and not had seals swapped but they sell the seal kits for £2.50 from memory, ordered my first kit from BrewKegTap and very happy but of I can save a few quide in these mad times it has to be done

£120 sounds great! A good scrub, a few o-rings and some lube, and they'll be good to go.

I will say that I've found Brewkegtap to be very well-stocked and well-priced for all the connections and other bits and pieces.

Just found thehomebrewcompany have 3 refurbed A grade for £153 and other 3 at £120 that I suspect are a bit battered and not had seals swapped but they sell the seal kits for £2.50 from memory, ordered my first kit from BrewKegTap and very happy but of I can save a few quide in these mad times it has to be done
I have 6 of the cheaper ones. I also bought a few packs of the replacement seal kits. However after a good disassemble scrub and reassemble I am yet to need even one new seal. All 1work perfectly and seal up nicley.

I probably got lucky though as I have read about others having difficulty with their kegs holding pressure .

I will say that I've found Brewkegtap to be very well-stocked and well-priced for all the connections and other bits and pieces.

Yes fair play Jonny and the team if there is a team do a cracking job, my kit arived quickly and the kegs were in really good condition, the only reason I'm looking at the TheHomebrewCompany is price, will see if they reply to my email, it suprises me how many emails get ignored and no reply no buy is my way, that does not include any of the companies mentioned though, but if people can't be bothered to reply to legitimate questions just how good would they be if you had a problem?

I was told on here about how to find my local supplier, but just read the paperwork and its www.hobbyweld.co.uk they have a UK wide dealer network and it was so easy getting my cylinder, never even had to show id like I expected, more expensive for the gas than I could have got but no monthly rental so happy, may sort you out?
Just bought one from Hobbyweld as my corny arrived today(took 3 weeks), thanks very much for the link.

Yes, I called a few in my area and all the same price, I paid an extra 10 quid and having it delivered due to the lockdown restrictions.

Glad you got sorted, can't imagine being without my kegs now, will be ordering some more when I got more dosh, they really make it to easy to drink :laugh8:
I've been using 5L minikegs with a party star deluxe tap for a while now and liked the ease of decanting but unfortunately the tap now leaks and I was forever buying the bloody c02 bulbs.

I've been using 5L minikegs with a party star deluxe tap for a while now and liked the ease of decanting but unfortunately the tap now leaks and I was forever buying the bloody c02 bulbs.
Think it was my first post about the cost of the bulbs v a bottle it was shocking so will last a lot longer for you now

Presume you need a kegerator minimum to keep kegs cool or is there a more basic way ? Tight on space and I'll doubt the Mrs will allow a fridge just for kegs at this time.
Would fluctuations in temperature adversely affect the beer as I drank it?

Presume you need a kegerator minimum to keep kegs cool or is there a more basic way ? Tight on space and I'll doubt the Mrs will allow a fridge just for kegs at this time.
If it was warmer it would probably fob like mad, when we had our pub you would know if the celler cooling or beer cooler was playing up as the beer was like a foam party, I know you can carb a cold beer easier, I was thinking you was on about the 19l kegs so if you have say a 5l one you could just keep that in the fridge

I’ve (literally) just got a cylinder from Andy’s Gas in Bristol. Amazing service - I called up at 10am and they’ve already dropped the cylinder off at my door. Delivery cost £10.

I went for a 3.15kg canister as I mainly spund, so only really use CO2 for transferring under pressure and serving. Fully refundable deposit of £55 and refills are £18. Very happy!

Hey Paul. I spund at 30PSI at room temperature of around 18’C before transferring under pressure to 10L mini kegs that fit in the fridge... once they’ve been cooled down to 4’C they have 2.3 volumes of CO2, which is a nice level for the beer I tend to brew. You could always set the beer to force carbonate at room temperature - adjusting the PSI of your regulator as necessary to achieve the volumes of CO2 you are after once cooled - and do something similar.

Latest posts

Back