Grain bill / water ratio

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerJ

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have bought a few all grain kits lately that have no water quantity’s on. I’ve been guessing from previous expierence and brews the split between mash and sparge water.
My question is is there a formula you use that can tell you how much mash water you need using a given grain bill size.

thanks

I use 3L per kg of grain. I think though some of the answer will depend on what works best on your system and gives you the best efficiency. Also the maximum capacity of your mash tun could be a limiting factor depending on how big it is. Some people prefer a wetter mash to aid recirculation, stirring etc. You will hit on what works for you with a bit of trial and error.

I use 3L per kg of grain. I think though some of the answer will depend on what works best on your system and gives you the best efficiency. Also the maximum capacity of your mash tun could be a limiting factor depending on how big it is. Some people prefer a wetter mash to aid recirculation, stirring etc. You will hit on what works for you with a bit of trial and error.
Thanks guys. Yeah I get it makes a diffrence with efficiency wtc just needed somewhere to start

Quite a good article on mashing
The Crisp Guide To Mashing | British Malt Supplier & Distributor
Screenshot_20210807-160437_Samsung Internet.jpg

Latest posts

Back