Grain keeping properties

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Ninja

Large Member
Reaction score
I've just ordered 25kg sack of Maris Otter and other bits from Rob (Malt Miller)

Anyone know how long grain will keep if stored in a lighttight cool environment?

I don't have the freezer capacity to store it all in there and it will obviously take some time to use it all in my brews.

Any advice appreciated, or is it best to call Rob and ask him?

Cheers,

Terry.

Should keep around 6 to 7 months some grain keep better than others. Pale malt seems to last longer than the darl chocolates as I found out a while ago

mark1964 said:
Pale malt seems to last longer than the darl chocolates as I found out a while ago
Strange as I have some chocolate & black malt for several YEARS ago that is still ok (raw taste test & brewed fine). Mind you it was kept in a drawer so not left open the light etc.

I tend to bag my pre-crushed malt into batches (usually about 5Kg made up of 2x2Kg and 1Kg bags) that way it is sealed when not used, but if it is uncrushed I don't bother, just take what I need and crush/brew on the day.

Green Ninja said:
I don't have the freezer capacity to store it all in there and it will obviously take some time to use it all in my brews.

I've just received a 25kg Maris Otter as well, I do have the freezer capacity to freeze some of it...is this a good idea?

Cheers for your replys.

I don't know if you are meant to or if it prolongs the grains but I've read people on here do it so thought it was the norm.

Good to know it'll keep for 6 months or so, i doubt if it will be kept that long to be honest.

Terry.

Latest posts

Back