Grainfather equipment profile (brewfather)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IainM

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi Grainfather users,
I've got a GF on the way, and I'm wondering about how accurate the default equipment profile is in Brewfather, and whether these numbers tally with peoples experiences with the GF:
Boil off rate: 3 L/h (presumably this is without the graincoat. Does anyone adjust with the graincoat?)
Dead space: 3.5 L (I believe this is the volume under and around the grain basket, not the irrecoverable volume that can't be transferred to the FV)
Grain absorption: 0.8 L/kg
Trub loss: 1L
Brewhouse efficiency: 72%
Desired mash thickness: 2.7 L/kg
Boil volume: 28L (this is for a 23L batch)

I only ask because I've heard of much higher efficiency from various GF posts (and I get higher efficiency in the bulldog brewer). I know I can dial this in over the course of a few brews, but I'd rather start off with as good a profile as I can. Thanks in advance!

Hi Iain,

Most of those numbers seem fairly accurate based on my experience. The exception being the efficiency, which as you eluded to is a bit low. I've found I'm getting about 85% for most of my brews.

Stu

Hi Grainfather users,
I've got a GF on the way, and I'm wondering about how accurate the default equipment profile is in Brewfather, and whether these numbers tally with peoples experiences with the GF:
Boil off rate: 3 L/h (presumably this is without the graincoat. Does anyone adjust with the graincoat?)
Dead space: 3.5 L (I believe this is the volume under and around the grain basket, not the irrecoverable volume that can't be transferred to the FV)
Grain absorption: 0.8 L/kg
Trub loss: 1L
Brewhouse efficiency: 72%
Desired mash thickness: 2.7 L/kg
Boil volume: 28L (this is for a 23L batch)

I only ask because I've heard of much higher efficiency from various GF posts (and I get higher efficiency in the bulldog brewer). I know I can dial this in over the course of a few brews, but I'd rather start off with as good a profile as I can. Thanks in advance!
Hello IainM,
I have been using a GF 30 for aprox 2 years now
My experience says:
Boil-off rate @ 4,5 L/h is more realistic
Irrecoverable volume = 1,5 L (that is below the pump plug)
Trub loss = Zero (trub remains with the 1,5 L Irrecov. Vol,)
Boil Volume 28L is a little short for a 23L batch. It will depend off losses in the FV and boil-off .
Efficiency = I'd suggest starting with a 70% estimate
Mash thickness: I'd rather start with 3:1 ! I've had some inconsistency in Temp. Measurement, probably due to differences between center of the mash and temp measuring pit.
Please let me know your experiences when you receive the GF

Thanks Stu and Luis. I'll let you know when the maiden brew is on. GF should be arriving today.

Hello IainM,
I have been using a GF 30 for aprox 2 years now
My experience says:
Boil-off rate @ 4,5 L/h is more realistic
Irrecoverable volume = 1,5 L (that is below the pump plug)
Trub loss = Zero (trub remains with the 1,5 L Irrecov. Vol,)
Boil Volume 28L is a little short for a 23L batch. It will depend off losses in the FV and boil-off .
Efficiency = I'd suggest starting with a 70% estimate
Mash thickness: I'd rather start with 3:1 ! I've had some inconsistency in Temp. Measurement, probably due to differences between center of the mash and temp measuring pit.
Please let me know your experiences when you receive the GF

I'd second these stats - for a typical 5 kg grain bill I reckon I need 32L water to get 21 in FV which tallies with the above when you take into account grain absorption

Latest posts

Back