GrainFather G30 steam hood for 4” in-line extractor fan ducting -Any links ideas ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hallow lads n lasses,
i’m sure i saw one of all in one brewing systems with steam hood thingy whilst boiling?
i’m going to use a one of these with 4” ductings.
IMG_6996.jpeg
any help be aprrecisted
Bri
sorry i was up a 5am n my 🧠
isn’t too good lol

Get a cheap aluminium wok lid. Sorted, and a strong pair of scissors or snips.
what a brill idea.
but the more i look at them Brewzilla steam condensors thingy, i'm 99% sure the two lids i got and not usedwink...are the distillation lids.
canyone help me to look on the BrewKegtap site looking on the options so i dont buy the wrong one...as you know dont call 'Online shopping Dangeruss Brian' for nowt.
https://brewkegtap.co.uk/products/p...er-steam-condenser-set?variant=40081494147153I think as i have the lid
Screenshot (232).jpg

maybe Option 3?
Screenshot (233).jpg

Hallow lads n lasses,
i’m sure i saw one of all in one brewing systems with steam hood thingy whilst boiling?
View attachment 92750
any help be aprrecisted
Bri
isn’t too good lol

I'd advise against using any extract fans whose motors are in the air stream for extracting dense steam for a prolonged period of time - this also includes cooker hoods. They're obviously designed to deal with moist showers, bathrooms and hobs, but they're not designed to deal with the continual dense steam you'll get from a 90 minute boil and the associated condensation; they'll not last too long.

Commercial extraction fans designed to deal with continual steam extraction tend to be belt driven with the motor located out of the air stream in order to protect them from the moisture.

Steam condenser is definitely the way ahead 🙂

So I had no problems using a 4 inch inline fan for extracting steam from a braumeister bm20. I always used the support bar to give a 10mm gap underneath to allow air to draw in.

Fast forward to the first brew on a g40 and I used the distillation lid that GF do hooked up to the same duct / inline fan. Schoolboy error and I didn’t have the manual power control selected so the boil was flat out at 100% power. This time I also didn’t have anything between the hood and the unit to draw in fresh air…. So this happened….

2A865B87-517A-4D75-8E54-F77F1E08D857.jpeg

So back to the drawing board I was taken back by how vigorous the boil was on the G40 at full tilt. I think if this was dialled back to 70% and I can create a gap to allow fresh air to be drawn in it might be ok, like it was with the BM.

But I am looking at high temperature rated inline fans as a replacement, cost a bit more but rated to 150 degrees, whereas most plastic ones are 45-80. Something like this VOK High Temperature Resistant Extractor Fan 120/100

So yeah I am no expert but would definitely urge caution

I'd advise against using any extract fans whose motors are in the air stream for extracting dense steam for a prolonged period of time - this also includes cooker hoods. They're obviously designed to deal with moist showers, bathrooms and hobs, but they're not designed to deal with the continual dense steam you'll get from a 90 minute boil and the associated condensation; they'll not last too long.

Commercial extraction fans designed to deal with continual steam extraction tend to be belt driven with the motor located out of the air stream in order to protect them from the moisture.

Steam condenser is definitely the way ahead 🙂

Sorry to report I have been using a setup like this for, well .. ever! On the original £8 fan.

You also find quite a bit of steam condenses in the pipe, before it gets to the fan anyhow.

I agree with your point about commercial extraction fans, this isn't commercial or continual. I brew once or twice a month, so TBH my actual bathroom fan works harder 😁

... and it was £8

Last edited:
So I had no problems using a 4 inch inline fan for extracting steam from a braumeister bm20.

Neither do I, BUT the really important bit is the air gap.

These are fans. No air in = no air out. You are moving the air, the steam is a secondary effect.

If you keep the lid above the unit (10-15 cms) the incoming air will pick up the stream, if you have a boilover 10-15 cms will allow it to get away. Think cooker hood not fan assisted lid.

The condensers are nice and great if you have no access to vent outside. But they also need a water supply (and a bigger wallet)

Sorry to report I have been using a setup like this for, well .. ever! On the original £8 fan.
Oh, I didn't say it won't work; I just advised against it because they're not designed for it - and I think it's sensible to stress on a public forum that using mains-powered devices in a wet environment they weren't explicitly designed for isn't something to aim for 🙂 The motors aren't fully sealed against moisture ingress so you might get lucky or you might get lots of crackling and some magic smoke (ask me how I know). Even though they're double-insulated devices, at the very least they should be protected by an RCD and the lowest fuse rating possible.

Hallow lads n lasses,
View attachment 92750
any help be aprrecisted
Bri
isn’t too good lol

I tried this and I do not recommend doing it. The water vapour simply condences in the ducting and makes a mess 🤣 could havesaved myself a wad of dosh there. What I now do is open the small window in my brewhouse a position a large fan opposite it and across the top of the boiler. I find this works well.
edit
The fan I had was mega powerful and water proof, so the manufr's said, but the water vapour dripped from the fan housing and the ducting.

One other reason I would be wary of using a fan in a semi closed system is increased wort evapouration due to reduced vapour presssure ?

What I am planning as a very simple solution is to have my welder nieghbour a hole cut in the lid of my S40 he will then weld a 100 mm ss pipe to it. I then plan to use ss flue pipe to exhaust the condensed water out my convenient place window. I think the heat of the steam should be able to heat the flue enough to get is past an acute elbow where it will condense in the cold flue pipe outside and drip i,to the garden. The system will have to be brought slowly up though to avoid boil overs as I expect a far more vigorous boil but usually the first hops kill the boil over... soon find out 🤣 🤣

morning! great advice there, really appreciate it taking time to get back to me.
last nite befor my meds kicked in i watched loads on the lid and vapor condenser thingy, don’t know i was managed to get to best of Peter kay! 🧠 retention of a pea!
anyhooo! any one can confirm as i got two lids go for Option 3?
like i said my online shopping is shocking!!
catch you in my other thread, as just finished liquid yeast starter then into Cryropersvite (**** spelling ) freezing yeast
lata
bri

I just saw the Keg land set up. I am planning avery much cheaper version of the... I mean very much cheaper 🤣 🤣

Latest posts

Back