Grainfather Pump Replacement

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim2607

Reaction score
The pump on my Grainfather has been misbehaving for ages, barely working and making awful noises, particularly just when you want to cool down the flameout hops which are going to bitter the brew if the wort doesnt get recirculated through the chiller. Couldnt bring myself to shell out over £100 for a new pump, some sites its £125 plus delivery!!! Found the exact same pump (MP-10RN) via Alibaba direct from China all be it in different paint work and I paid about £50 including shipping which was a bit more than the $29 it says on the website but still worth it, and there was no import duty or post office extra charges on top.

The fittings are identical, to the point I have swapped over the old genuine pump head and impeller, even the screws are the same pitch and length, and the mounting bracket is exactly matching.

Just wanted to let fellow GF users know there is a much cheaper way of pimping your pump! Did a lot of looking online and couldnt find anyone else mentioning doing the same so thought worth posting here.

Heres a link to what I bought

Pics below with heads swapped

20230122_233750.jpg
20230122_233821.jpg

The pump on my Grainfather has been misbehaving for ages, barely working and making awful noises, particularly just when you want to cool down the flameout hops which are going to bitter the brew if the wort doesnt get recirculated through the chiller. Couldnt bring myself to shell out over £100 for a new pump, some sites its £125 plus delivery!!! Found the exact same pump (MP-10RN) via Alibaba direct from China all be it in different paint work and I paid about £50 including shipping which was a bit more than the $29 it says on the website but still worth it, and there was no import duty or post office extra charges on top.

The fittings are identical, to the point I have swapped over the old genuine pump head and impeller, even the screws are the same pitch and length, and the mounting bracket is exactly matching.

Just wanted to let fellow GF users know there is a much cheaper way of pimping your pump! Did a lot of looking online and couldnt find anyone else mentioning doing the same so thought worth posting here.

Heres a link to what I bought

Pics below with heads swapped

View attachment 81050View attachment 81051
All the SVB 's have the same pump, impeller could be different being for temperature. Though nothing really can go wrong with a mag drive I got a spare for $15 about 7.50 GBP a few years ago. In the local HBS now they are $24.00. Could be worth looking at a bulk buy for anyone worried about the pump. Alibaba they were quite cheap quantity dependent. Aliexpress dearer.
004.JPG

Hmmm, maybe I got a bit fleeced then! Less fleeced than mainstream option though so still feels a win!!

Back