Grainfather reduced pipe work

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcus Roper

Reaction score
Hi There,
Has anyone used the grainfather reduced pipe work? Can it only achieve 10ltrs of wert? I’m worried about losses that I may end up with only 8ltrs.
I have 12ltr corny kegs. So should I use standard pipe work and do 13 to 15ltrs and factor In losses?
Please help M

I’ve got it, but I only use it when I’ve got less than approx 4.2kg of grain for the mash, albeit for a lower abv beer with 22l or so into the fermenter. I haven’t used it for smaller batches.

There’s usually about 1.5 - 2l of wastage at the bottom of the GF, depending on the amount of hops, so you probably want to aim for about 16 litres or so pre 60 minute boil

Last edited:
Hi There,
Thanks so much for the help. So should I aim for 16ltrs to get 12ltrs

Give it take I usually have 28l pre boil to get around 22l into the fermenter. It’s usually a little more than 22. The actual GF software on their website is usually pretty accurate with amounts of water if you specify what you’re aiming for in the fermenter.

Edit: Just checked my last 2 brews and it was 27l pre boil for 22l into the fermenter. My calcs in my original post were right

Give it take I usually have 28l pre boil to get around 22l into the fermenter. It’s usually a little more than 22. The actual GF software on their website is usually pretty accurate with amounts of water if you specify what you’re aiming for in the fermenter.

Edit: Just checked my last 2 brews and it was 27l pre boil for 22l into the fermenter. My calcs in my original post were right

I would agree with the assertion that you will lose 5L in a GF. 30L in the GF (a couple of these litres can be in a pot on the stove) at the start of the boil for 25L in the FV.

After 94 brews on the GF, I am still a novice, though. Just interested in having something to drink I suppose.

Back