Grainfather S40 - Mistake? Shall I return and get something else?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I've just sent this.

Hi Gareth

I'm assuming you've not heard anything back regarding the issues.

I'm going to be asking for a full refund for the S40. From my experience and from reading more on it on forums and online, it's not fit for purpose. I won't be able to replicate brews due to the fluctuation in temperatures. I can't get guaranteed numbers for the same reason.

I'll have everything boxed up to return today. Just let me know how you'd like to proceed.

Regards

Aaron.

I'll await his reply...

My system will be collected by bevie sometime next week. Having a look around for other options now, so any recommendations?

Klarstein experience? I believe its the same or similar to the S40, but does the temp control function any better?

Last edited:
I am considering claiming back of my CC if they don't offer me a refund.
Unfortunately Tesco have a 120 day limit but I'm not 100% if it's from date of purchase or delivery date. Currently on day 119 from placing the order, it was delivered 6 days later....

I'll be emailing again on Monday for a further update as I didn't get a reply on Friday. Gareth was fairly quick at getting back to me previously.

It's all boxed ready to go.

I am considering claiming back of my CC if they don't offer me a refund.
Unfortunately Tesco have a 120 day limit but I'm not 100% if it's from date of purchase or delivery date. Currently on day 119 from placing the order, it was delivered 6 days later....

I'll be emailing again on Monday for a further update as I didn't get a reply on Friday. Gareth was fairly quick at getting back to me previously.

It's all boxed ready to go.
I'm sure you'll get a refund. Just check with him on Monday.

What are you looking at now, system wise? I'm not read to trust a G40 after the issues with the S40. Might try and jig something up myself with a boiler and and inkbird.

If i want to mash at 65c i set it for 68c and leave just the 900w element on and recirculate, never have a problem with the boil on a warm day like today i bring it up to boil on both elements 2400w when it is boiling i knock the 900w one off and it will keep a rolling boil at 15 minutes to go i put the chiller in and turn both elements on, It's all a learning curve and getting to know the machine, taking temps help to find a balance stick a temp probe in the wort then under what is coming out of the pump you will have 2 different temps and with all the will in the world you will never achieve a consistant temp from top to bottom. having said all that these machines are capable of making beer as good if not better than some of big boys, even my old klarstein biab had the same issues but once i got to know it it made really good beer stick at it and you will get there acheers.

I've just kicked off the refund process with Malt Miller. Hopefully won't be too many hoops to go through.

Also interested in alternatives used by other members, maybe a 30ltr unit rather than 40 as the 5kg min grain bill was restrictive for small batches or low abv brews.

May bring my 56l electric pot out of retirement for now but will miss the recirc pump and mash basket (never did find one to fit).

That's mine been collected by Bevie. Refund will go through when it's been received. Any luck with yours @ale_crowe_holic ?
No, I haven't heard anything and was waiting to see what was happening with you before I sent another email.
Did you hear from Gareth regarding this or was it just the courier?

I'll be emailing them tomorrow again, if I don't hear back by the afternoon I'll be calling them.

No, I haven't heard anything and was waiting to see what was happening with you before I sent another email.
Did you hear from Gareth regarding this or was it just the courier?

I'll be emailing them tomorrow again, if I don't hear back by the afternoon I'll be calling them.
I emailed Gareth to let him know, and he did the refund would be processed when it's received

Back