Grainfather S40 - Mistake? Shall I return and get something else?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joetp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm in a bit of a predicament and I'm not sure what to do, so was after some advice. I bought a Grainfather S40 on offer for £350, an upgrade from a Peco boiler. However, having looked into it further, there are some reported downsides:

- Can't run the pump during the boil as it doesn't have a filter, so hop matter could clog/break the pump apparently. This also then means you can't use the pump to transfer your wort into the fermenter once done, so you are reliant on using the tap at the bottom meaning you have to have the unit on top of a counter of some kind. I did wonder about using a big paint strainer as well as the grain basket during the boil to help keep the hop matter away from the pump and use it anyway, but I don't know if this is risky.
-The panel reportedly has some issues and during the mash, it has a fluctuation of 3 degrees either way before the heat kicks in. On top of this, the lid doesn't have a hole like other units so you can't use it to help stabilise the mash temperature.

These two things are grating on me as I feel I could probably put 50 to 100 more down and get a better unit (I hate false economy). So I wanted to throw this out to the forum to see if you have any thoughts. I haven't even opened the box yet, so I could probably return it and get something better if I wanted!

Thanks,

Joe

Most use a hop spider in the all in ones, it's difficult to not clog with hops loose in any of the units. I don't think you should be running the pump when boiling. They are not rated to handle the boiling temps.

I think you will have similar issues across the board.

350 is a good price I think.

I use a hop spider and it never clogs the pump, I think it is possible to get a filter that covers the inlet hole for the machine too me thinks.
I would be surprised if the temp fluctuation is as much as 3 degrees but I could be proved wrong. Lets see if any other owners pipe up

Most all in ones tell you you shouldn’t use the pump to transfer because of hop matter but for most beers it’s fine. I have a BrewDevil and I’ll use a hop spider if I’m using more than 100g of hops otherwise I just freestyle it. I learned the hard way that my practice only works for pellets not leaf though!

You mentioned using the pump during the boil, I’m not sure why you would want to?

Yes most of the pumps are not really designed for constant use on boiling wort but I am sure plenty do transfer with them once the boil has stopped.
I do not use my pump when it is boiling but do use it on the whirlpool when the temp has dropped a bit

Hi i have a brewzilla gen 3, i never use the pump when it is boiling, as far hops go as above over 100g go in bags, the temp on mine is 2 degree's out so if i want 65c i set for 67c job done, also even though the lid has a hole i never use it i just recirculate directly on to the top screen, i stand it on a milk grate when brewing and if i am feeling lazy i use the pump to transfare into a kegland all rounder after cooling, do you do no chill, i think you will struggle to any aio that will maintain a steady temp

Thanks for the replies guys! Much appreciated! I'm feeling less doubtful about the purchase - I do think the S40 is good value looking at competitors. I'm planning to do no chill, so the lid with no hole and clamps is ideal in that respect.

Good to know if I keep the hop matter in a spider or bag the pump should be okay!

In terms of using the pump during the boil, it's mainly to sanitise before the whirlpool (can probably get away with sanitising just after flame out perhaps? I'm not sure as this will be my first set up with a pump!)

Has anyone used the pump on the S40 to whirlpool?

My understanding about running a pump during the boil is due to cavitation around the impeller causing it to fail to pump.
I have a G40 and I do run my pump during the boil to steriise the cooling coil at the end of the boil.
I get around the cavitation by resting my SS mash paddle over the pump input.
Works for me 🙂

Using the pump for whirlpooling should be ok I use it at 80c or below many times onto the bagged/spidered hops and the pump will be rated higher than that.

Thanks everyone! I'm feeling pretty good about the S40 now. I was worried I'd made a bad choice for the price point, but I think it can do everything I want it to. I've bought some paint strainer bags I plan to use in the grain basket during the boil to keep the hops away from the pump so I can do a (hopefully) risk-free whirlpool. I'll attempt a no-chill brew later me thinks! I'll report back.

Cheers again!

Last edited:
I have the bazooka filter on my AIO and I run off through the tap that is fitted but I know you pump because of the height you have the S40.
I have never had a issue with running through the tap and hardly any loss to the FV

I did a no chill today, i just left my paddle in the boiling wort, then did the whirl pool by hand left it for 20 minutes and drained into the fv at 90c, put the lid on tin foil in the hole, it is in the yard as i speak will bring in later and pitch tomorrow

Yep thats me Whirlpool and then leave to cool and settle out then to FV and leave until pitch temp is reached

It will still sanitise your chiller if you run the pump once the wort has gone off the boil. Not sterilise, but sanitise.
My G40 pump clogs if I use leaf hops without spider or bag; but pellets are no problem, so that's an alternative.

Latest posts

Back