Grainfather - steeping hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyn2001

Reaction score
Has anyone used a grainfather and steeped hops post boil?

I read somewhere that it was difficult because of the counter flow system, but that was an early review.

I like to get wort down to 90c then steep hops for 30mins.

I'm thinking of purchasing one, but not if I can't steep hops.

If your trying to steep below the temp where hop oils and alpha acids cook off then it would be hard on GF. The counter flow chiller is designed to cool wort in one pass so there in no opportunity to steep. BTW everything that I've read indicates that steeping like that is best below 82C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

could you not just drop a hop spider in 10 minutes before the end of boil to sterilize and steep hops in that once boil had ended? route output back through spider? :)

I've done it, it's pretty easy, you just run the counter flow chiller back in to the boiler, from memory it took about 10 minutes to get to 80c.

So if I understand, you connect wort chiller but feed the wort out pipe back into the boiler and not into the fermenter. When temp is hit, turn off, add hops then steep for x minutes, then move wort out pipe to fermenter and turn wort chiller back on.

Is that correct? Sounds simple to me!

Ivalways cool my wort to 80 for the flameout hops and whirlpool, takes about 5mins with 13 degree tap water chilling...

Latest posts

Back