Gram per litre dry hop?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. I’m just playing at the moment and am brewing a Wilco golden ale. I am going to add 50 grammes of hop pellets to the mix when fermented and leave for s few days. Will this have any effect?????

Hop additions are personal as I find I can get a reasonably hoppy beer with 5/6 grams per litre dry hop. The problem you have is that some of the serious hop heads need to keep upping their amounts as you get used to the hoppage with higher hopped beers they can affect your taste buds over time and if you went in with the higher amounts you may find it well too much. Start with a average amount and see where you go from there as hops are not cheap and it would be a shame to waste a large amount and you find it too much for your taste. I like IPA's but I find some of them too much and also can be too bitter for some folk. The best way I suggest is what commercial beers best suit your taste and then you may get a answer nearer your taste. You may start chasing dragons once you start with dry hopping and end up with massive hop charges in the future but do not go in all guns blazing and throwing 3 to 4 hundred gram hop bills straight away - just my thoughts

Thanks. I now have bought 50 g ruffles and 50 g first golf which I will dry hop for four days. That’s in 21.5 litres of Wilco golden ale. Just starting. Do you think you will taste anything.

Meaning?
I usually bung in the dry hops once the beer has reached FG and leave them at 20deg for 3 to 4 days before cold crashing?
There is a lot of info and discussion about dry hopping at various temps. Brewdog do it at 14c others say much lower. I have tried 3c and think it worked well so will try that again.

Then you need to minimise oxidizing when bottling or transferring etc.

Back