grape juice v concentrate

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutnrun

Regular.
Reaction score
hi all,

i have had a bash at a couple of ciders and thought i would give a wine a go. A friend has donated 2 small cans of grape concentrate, however the recipe uses grape juice.

should i stick to the recipe or use the grape concentrate (also removing the tannin from the recipe)

if i do use concentrate how much will 1 small can make when diluted back to regular concentration?

thanks guys!

i have 2 245g cans ... So 490g in total.

i don't know the volume in each can though.

Alot of people dont use juice from concentrate but if you have that much i reckon you could at the least get 1 gallon from it. Dilute it with water up to 8 pints then take a reading with hydrometer. If its around 1050 just add yeast and it should be ok

A typical 900 g. can of grape concentrate is designed to make a gallon of wine so, logically, 450 g is the equivalent of about 2.25 litres of grape juice.

tonyhibbett said:
so, logically, 450 g is the equivalent of about 2.25 litres of grape juice.
I would agree with that, so it could make a good addition to a wine recipe but isn't really enough to do anything with in its own right.

You could try making a gallon with that plus a couple of litres of supermarket grape juice.

BTW, supermarket juices (whether pure pressed or from concentrate) don't make a good wine in their own right either, it's pressed from mostly dessert grapes whereas your GJC will be from a mixture of dessert and wine grapes.

thanks guys!

i was actually going to make a fruit tea wine which calls for about 2.5L f grape juice so i think i should be good!

making this because it is quick, doesn't need to mature for too long.

i also had a ginger wine while i was in burton i really liked so i am doing a lemon ginger wine!

I'm inclined to agree about 'supermaket' grape juice. I recently made a gallon of red using 4 litres and despite the addition of banana, eldeflower, honey (instead of sugar) oak chips, tannin and glycerin, it still retained the flavour of grape juice and had the colour of rose rather than red. However I've had success with white juice used as the main ingredient (60%), which is good news as it's significantly cheaper than concentrate, especially at 3 for 2 prices.

Latest posts

Back