Gravity Readings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snail59

Regular.
Reaction score
First brew done yesterday :party: . Sitting in FV foaming away quite nice :thumb: . At what point should I start taking Gravity readings??. Is it worth just letting it sit for 10 days do a reading and if low enough put it in the keg or is it best to check gravity every couple of days so as to get it in the keg as soon as it's ready. :wha:

I get a reading after 5days, just see where its at and pray its under 1020. cause that's where they tend to stick.
When you have readings under 1015 for three days its time to bottle\keg.
Usually they're done fermenting in 5days, but I leave mine for 10

Agreed with Sean :thumb:

I tend to leave mine alone for a week, by which time I would expect the gravity to be 1.015 or less (depending on your brew). I might check it again on day 10 and if the readings are the same it's ready to keg.

All of my own brewing/bottling gets done at weekends, so mine usually has 13-15 days in the FV.

I've stopped being obsessed with taking readings to the extent that I don't do any.

robsan77 said:
I'd say it depends how many samples you wish to taste! :D

Talking of which. I have read you must drink the contents of the test jar so as not to upset the brew gods. I didn't do this with the first sample when I did the OG does this mean my brew is doomed to fail :cry:

snail59 said:
Talking of which. I have read you must drink the contents of the test jar so as not to upset the brew gods. I didn't do this with the first sample when I did the OG does this mean my brew is doomed to fail :cry:
I believe they give the innocents a second chance. (happy beaming smile)

Latest posts

Back