Greene King tour

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddydisco

Landlord.
Reaction score
Firstly sorry for **** pic's I forgot about taking them.

Secondly this is a Tour for 3 of us with the Head brewer, so it's off the beaten track of a normal tour.
After taking a tour of the screens mills mash tuns and coppers, we headed under ground looking at the auger for removing grains and the compressed air system for moving the spent grains, the wifes ears picked up when John the brewer mentions having to cannon ball the pipes. Basically every now and then a solid rubber ball the size of a foot ball is put into the pipes and fired by compressed air to the other end to clean the pipes.
We then went down the tunnels connecting the two parts of the brewery together under the road and down even further some 20m or more I think into the Brewery tasting and sampling room :D

6d9ca5cd-ed93-a8ab.jpg

This is the sampling room and John is starting us off on the 5X which is brewed to 12% and then blended with other beers to make old crafty, suffolk springer etc

6d9ca5cd-eda2-f26f.jpg

This is one of the Vats of 5X in an wooden Wine vat sealed with a lime mix to keep it air tight.

6d9ca5cd-edb7-0d46.jpg

This is a old cellar under lock and key with the 1930 corranational ales in.

Now look closely at the next pic this is an eruption of Fermentation like I have never seen!!!
They are in huge conicals but are kept under slight pressure as far as John could explain and the ferment got to active and the head blew through the vent, causing the pressure system to fail and releasing all the pressure. Like an over carbed bottle. Now look at the floor thats over 30BBL of beer flowing out of every orrifice!!!!! and out the Vents onto the roof and down the gutters hence the next pic. It was a sight to see but had to leave sharpish as the CO2 alarms went off.

6d9ca5cd-edd2-8dd0.jpg

6d9ca5cd-ede4-d7c6.jpg

A most excellent day was had and finished off in the Tap, drinking at least 6-7 pints to be told to go to the visitors centre to collect the rest of our beer :hmm: Got there and Found 3 Bags of 6 bottles each for nowt. :D

Must say They pulled all the stops out to make sure they rectified the bad tour we had a couple of months back. Thanks Green King :D

Sorry bob was editing in the text. I cheated and uploaded the photos from tapatalk then got on laptop to write it up. Theres more text since you seen it :thumb:

Sounds good, remember reading about the coronation ales, they "found them" in a forgotten vault, they had being totally forgotten about. And I thought my memory was bad.

Yep there were found under the staff canteen, when laying a new floor they found a cellar with bricked up wall and these were behind that. Amazing find. It was a shame we couldn't spend longer down there but being at the lowest point with Co2 alarms going off made us edgy to say the least.

My local's just started selling their Yardbird ale , it's wonderful!

Tried to find out more about it on their website but it isn't listed .

The beer pump label suggests it's brewed similar to American IPA's , very fruity and hoppy.

Pearlfisher said:

The beer pump label suggests it's brewed similar to American IPA's , very fruity and hoppy.

i thought it was ok but a bit bland...... hardly thornbribge, marble, redwillow et al

a bit of an apa lite.....but a creditable effort never the less

it was on my local with 5 other beers 2 fridays ago, it was definately the slowest seller, as it was put on friday and still there sunday, other pumps had had 3 other beers on by sunday lunchtime according to the staff

sounds like a cracking tour mr muddy, action packed at least!

critch said:
Pearlfisher said:

i thought it was ok but a bit bland...... hardly thornbribge, marble, redwillow et al

a bit of an apa lite.....but a creditable effort never the less

it was on my local with 5 other beers 2 fridays ago, it was definately the slowest seller, as it was put on friday and still there sunday, other pumps had had 3 other beers on by sunday lunchtime according to the staff

sounds like a cracking tour mr muddy, action packed at least!

Thanks critch , yes quite a few regulars didn't like it , they prefer to drink the Hobsons 36 ! :sick:

But it definitely appeals to my palate.

I'll look out for the ales you suggest , I've never seem them around here.

Back