Greetings from Across the Pond

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Three Dawg Night

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I'm new to the board, but I've been active on the US sister-site (homebrewtalk.com) for a couple of years now. I'm an all-grain brewer who picked up the hobby early in the pandemic. With kids, work, and other commitments, I usually get one brew day per month, but I'm looking for ways to up that number. One of the things I love most about brewing is making beer styles that are hard to find in my local area.

Side note: I'll be in Bristol for work next month. Where are the best places to have a pint or three?

Hi, everyone. I'm new to the board, but I've been active on the US sister-site (homebrewtalk.com) for a couple of years now. I'm an all-grain brewer who picked up the hobby early in the pandemic. With kids, work, and other commitments, I usually get one brew day per month, but I'm looking for ways to up that number. One of the things I love most about brewing is making beer styles that are hard to find in my local area.

Side note: I'll be in Bristol for work next month. Where are the best places to have a pint or three?
Bristol is a great beer city. Two local beer bloggers have a decent guide: Best pubs in Bristol in 2023: our guide on where to drink

Lost & Grounded is an excellent tao room. Not at all central but, for my money, one of the UKs best breweries on current form. German style lagers are the speciality. Wiper & True is another Bristol good taproom.

I'm a dozen miles east in Bath if you get homesick for homebrew : )

One of the things I love most about brewing is making beer styles that are hard to find in my local area.
This ! A unseasonably warm welcome for I think most of us. It is though a real calling for homebrew, that you can make things that would be otherwise so hard to find. I've nae a clue about Bristol, but good to have you here.

If you are lodging in the centre try the cornubia, amazing ale, also the seven stars, tiny pub with great ale, and the Shakespeare on prince's St

I usually get one brew day per month, but I'm looking for ways to up that number.

Welcome, pull up a stool. You are very welcome here.

Can't say I would know where to start in Bristol.

But.. I gave up brewdays a while ago and would never go back. Overnight mashing, boil before work in the morning. Next morning pitch, cos it has chilled as of by magic.

Just a thought..

There are presently 20 active breweries in Bristol, some of which have their own tap rooms... New Bristol Brewery; Bristol Beer Factory; Left Handed Giant Brewpub; Little Martha; Moor Beer plus a couple already mentioned. The Shakespeare on Victoria Street (not the Shakespeare mentioned earlier!) is the tap room for Good Chemistry.

The Cornubia and the Seven Stars (both mentioned earlier) are great cask ale pubs, though the Seven Stars could do with an internal facelift.

I'd recommend the Gryphon on Colston Street for dark ales, though you have to like heavy metal music! The Strawberry Thief on Broad St is a Belgian beer bar. The Bridge Inn on Passage St, the Barley Mow on Barton Road.

On King St, you'll find the Llandoger Trow which is an architectural treasure; and the Old Duke if you like jazz. There's also the Beer Emporium, which occupies three former wine cellars underground - mostly craft keg beers with occasional real/cask ales.

A couple of favourites of mine for cask ales are The Volunteer Tavern, New Street; Swan with Two Necks, Little Ann Street; and the Lime Kiln, St Georges Road.

All these and more (many, many more) can be found at WhatPub.com, which - being a CAMRA (Campaign For Real Ale) website/app - focusses, but not exclusively, on real ale pubs. In theory, WhatPub lists every single pub in the UK so is a useful guide.

The Bristol branch of CAMRA is very active and there may well be opportunity for you to contact them and join with some of their activities. Facebook page is CAMRA Bristol Chat.

Last edited:
Found some good beer.
1000001922.jpg

Latest posts

Back