Grrrr! Cars!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleman

Regular.
Reaction score
:twisted:

Cambelt went on my shed yesterday evening

220 quid just to replace the cambelt . . . Ok, not too bad really . . . . Just depends on what other damage has been done . . .which they won't know about until the head is off properly

FCUK! T!TS! 4RSE!!

A little light keeps comming up on the wifes modeo's dash and she loses all power. Turn it off and back on and its fine. I thought it must be some electrical problem....

OH NO

Turbo has gone......

£1800

The thing is it is only an 06 plate with 21k on the clock.

21k on the clock and the turbo's gone??????! Thats not good. Have they said what has exactly failed on the turbo?

Holy ****, All way to expensive, Just getting rid of our cars and getting a multipla for less than it would cost to insure and tax our too..

My pals audi just came back with a Grand bill for a load of little bits.

Strange that my 15 year old delica goes with no hassles and just went through it's MOT without any work being needed.... New cars just seem so expensive all the way through.. like min says 21k and knackered turbo.... ridiculous surely?

Cambelt went on my old car (vectra)
Didnt even consider the repair cost, got about 750 quid for it selling it in little bits instead! :D

a right bugger tony ,
always a pain if the belt goes... good chance of bent valves,head gasket lots of labour may well be time to look for another cheap un... :hmm:

i had to do the water pump on my audi last month... would have been an arm and a leg at a garage .... :cry:

heres a link to my mini adventure ..all done with out a manual .....

http://www.mkb.cc/forum/index.php?actio ... opic=10879

Aleman said:

220 quid just to replace the cambelt . . . Ok, not too bad really . . . . Just depends on what other damage has been done . . .which they won't know about until the head is off properly
What type of car you got Tony?
I'd do some googling about possible damage that can happen on the engine you have before you pay for the head taking off.

If it's diesel you've no second chance, valves will smash on pistons.

BB

artyb said:
i had to do the water pump on my audi last month... would have been an arm and a leg at a garage .... :cry:

What a strip down for a water pump :eek: :eek:

BB

Id say minimum damage is bent/snapped valves without a doubt. Worst case scenario is damaged piston from impact on valves and even bent con rods. Ive repaired plenty of motors when this has happened and never had any without at least a few bent valves. It will be the labour cost from the garage that will sting, Because they have to strip the head off to just inspect it, probably charge you 3-4 hours labour just for that.

mln810 said:
21k on the clock and the turbo's gone??????! Thats not good. Have they said what has exactly failed on the turbo?

I don't know. All I know it is intermittent but when it shuts down you have no power what so ever. SWMBO is dealing with it but it is a mechanic we have used for about 20yrs and we haven't been ripped of before.

My van had a flat battery last year and it took the RAC 3 hrs to get it going again because of all the codes etc that needed re setting.

As you can gather all I know about cars is that you need to put fuel in them and check the oil and tyres every now and then. :lol: :lol:

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Aleman said:

What type of car you got Tony?
I'd do some googling about possible damage that can happen on the engine you have before you pay for the head taking off.

If it's diesel you've no second chance, valves will smash on pistons.

BB

artyb said:

What a strip down for a water pump :eek: :eek:

BB

your not kidding young kev...lol,
its supposed to be changed when the belt is done....!
the last owner left the old pump in, when they fitted a new head and belt 18 months ago.... :evil:

following a belt failure, [look away tony]
it had a brand new head from audi £700 + belts etc.....but they left out the 35 quid water pump.... :nono:

Daewoo Nubira 2.0L Petrol . . . And Yeah I'm expecting dumped valves etc

Think that annoys me is that it was booked in for a Major service and Belt change on the 13th June :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Aleman said:
Think that annoys me is that it was booked in for a Major service and Belt change on the 13th June
Thats bloody sods law! :eek:

Out of interest tony how old is it and with how many miles? When is the timing belt on that model supposed to be changed? age or mileage

2000 (W Reg) and 90K miles . . . Change belt at 60K . . . It had 30K on when I bought it and I had the belt done then so was due a change

Wish I hadn't googled the Damage. . . Recon Engine / Rebuild / Scrappy :hmm: :hmm:

Id shop about but poss try a scrappy, depends what the difference is between that and a recon/rebuild. i dont like going to scrappys cos the bloke with the oily dog makes prices up and can be expensive. Worth an ask though

Aleman said:
2000 (W Reg) and 90K miles . . . Change belt at 60K . . . It had 30K on when I bought it and I had the belt done then so was due a change

Wish I hadn't googled the Damage. . . Recon Engine / Rebuild / Scrappy :hmm: :hmm:
Might be time to lay the old girl to rest Tony, could be expensive to have repaired..... Might be cheaper to have a reconditioned engine fitted but then again is it worth paying out?? :hmm:

BB

Apparently I should do the lottery this weekend. :shock:

Although I'll wait and see if there is any more repercussions from this one

Hope you have your sword ready then wez otherwise you wont go to valhalla (and not the one in Blackpool ) :shock:

Latest posts

Back