Grrrr! Cars!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
snail59 said:
You could always write a book Tony and buy a NEW car just on the pre orders from the forum.
:clap:

My mate just had his car serviced and was told that his five year old golf 1.9tdi (36,000miles on clock) was due for a cam belt change - does this seem right then? I always thought it was miles rather than age? Not that i have much car knowledge :lol:

Rick it normally goes on mileage but materials will perish with age. I'm about to change the tyres on my caravan not because there worn out but because the side walls are starting to crack due to age. I wouldn't say 5 years is particularly old but I would say change it. A cars average mileage is around 10/12K so a 5 year old car would have done almost 60K and most belts "ARE RECOMMENDED" for change at around 70K.

Reading up on it you generally get a recommendation of say 40K miles or 4 Years

graysalchemy said:
A little light keeps comming up on the wifes modeo's dash and she loses all power. Turn it off and back on and its fine. I thought it must be some electrical problem....

OH NO

Turbo has gone......

£1800

The thing is it is only an 06 plate with 21k on the clock.

Similar thing with my 185000 mile 02 passat .... turned out to be the catalyst breaking up and blocking the flow of exhaust. VW reckoned it could be the turbo £1800, the Cat £750 or the EGR £50. speaking to the mechanic that was working on it and looking at live traces of what was going on with the electronics he said "its calling for boost, not getting it and then going to limp, its like the engine is strangled and just can't suck the air through".

In the end I paid £350 for a new cat after spending the afternoon with the yellow pages and finding a cheap place 40 miles away. Cat can shatter if it gets soaked in a deep puddle whilst hot or contaminants in the fuel etc. etc.

All I'm saying is that it could be something simple that isn't indicated by the electronics; because there aren't any actually in the turbo or cat bits of the engine (cos its damn hot!).

1st post, and to my shame it's not about beer :oops:

Thanks for that Farmer Dave I will ask the question with the mechanic. And I am sure you will be posting about beer very very soon.

Welcome to the forum Dave

:thumb: :thumb:

AG

Aleman said:
Reading up on it you generally get a recommendation of say 40K miles or 4 Years

Tonys right, serviceable items i.e cambelts are always age and mileage recomended, around 70k miles OR 7 years, dependent on which comes first. its a mistake alot of people make by just going off mileage. Its like that because you might get a sunday driver who might have the car 15 years and never get anywhere near the mileage, or a company car that does 25k miles a year. So its worth finding out what the intervals are for your car, every manufacturers intervals are different. When i started off in a main dealers it was 70k miles, now i know the same manufacture recomends the belt change well over 100k miles.

According to the guys at the garage, I have more jam than Hartleys.

No significant damage done to the rest of the engine at all :wha: :shock: What they reckoned happened was because it went at low revs, it didn't snap, but shredded, and the grinding noise I heard was the belt delaminating and destroying the tensioners and the cam belt casing. If I had been going any further or at higher revs then New engine time.

As it is I have the car back and so far :pray: it's running as sweet as a nut . . . Ok Should I now do the lottery :hmm:

Well done mate, now you mention it that happened to my wife. It went whilst she was going over a speed bump and because of the low revs it didn't do any damage, mind you she decided to get rid of the car after that.

Latest posts

Back