Guilty for telling a joke

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the government or some other lot should publish a guide line for any persons wondering on what can or cannot be said in any context? Or are there lines,no lines or blurred lines? Or has it all gone hysterical and everyone is too unsure or petrified to say anything at all and are desperately looking for affirmation from their peers that they have not said the wrong thing? Will everything go full circle and we'll all find ourselves back in the 1970's?
Will they ban Father Ted reruns?

I've provided the evidence you asked for, you're refusing to accept it.
Yes I am - because you are deliberately misrepresenting what was said.
What's even more telling is that that's the best you've got out of 10 years of public appearances.

Yes I am - because you are deliberately misrepresenting what was said.
What's even more telling is that that's the best you've got out of 10 years of public appearances.
That was the first thing that a first Google search brought back. I'm not going to waste hours of my life on that turd.

Will everything go full circle and we'll all find ourselves back in the 1970's?

I sincerely hope so - the era of good comedy, long before 'PC' came along and ruined it all. Have you heard the one about the one-legged Irishman who... er, best not.

Just an observation/question....
When did the tide visibly turn and become more publicly prominent regarding "isms" ie. Racism,sexism,fatism or whatever. .it didn't seem to matter up until well into the 90's or beyond.
Is it "older" people who remember what used to be accepted as the norm now voice their opinion?

Just an observation/question....
When did the tide visibly turn and become more publicly prominent regarding "isms" ie. Racism,sexism,fatism or whatever. .it didn't seem to matter up until well into the 90's or beyond.
Is it "older" people who remember what used to be accepted as the norm now voice their opinion?

Whenever the critical mass of any 'minority' is exceeded, it's no longer funny to laugh at them. Anything goes these days and they all want to be taken seriously... as if. And they called the 60s the permissive society!

Still can't see what all the fuss is about. Any joke worth laughing at has a 'victim' in it somewhere. It's just a joke, a laugh at someone els's expense. We're all the victim at some time or another. It's no big deal. Ain't y'all got more important things to worry about?
Know what your saying buddy but just imagine one of your kids was gassed to death in a torture camp then someone thinks it’s “funny” ,Christian or not, I would kick ten bells out of them.
Slag off my big nose, or my tiny penis (obviously I’m making this up :laugh8:) and fair enough but killing kids,no,just no.
I can listen to Kevin Bridges and Tom Stade but Frankie Boyle and that clown That did the Office,as soon as they joke about disabled children,I put my bible head away and wish I could pull off their eyelids with pliers. HA Ha, FUNNY EHHH???????:vomitintoilet:

Know what your saying buddy but just imagine one of your kids was gassed to death in a torture camp then someone thinks it’s “funny” ,Christian or not, I would kick ten bells out of them.
Slag off my big nose, or my tiny penis (obviously I’m making this up :laugh8:) and fair enough but killing kids,no,just no.
I can listen to Kevin Bridges and Tom Stade but Frankie Boyle and that clown That did the Office,as soon as they joke about disabled children,I put my bible head away and wish I could pull off their eyelids with pliers. HA Ha, FUNNY EHHH???????:vomitintoilet:

Would you "kick ten bells out of" Mel Brooks?
And more importantly, would you criminalise those involved in producing "The Producers"?

And more importantly, would you criminalise those involved in producing "The Producers"?
Ehhhh...... tell me why I would,did he joke about gassing my child to death??? I didn’t hear him but yes, I guess I would,can you pm me his address.
And why is it important if I would criminalise anyone? I just want to extort my violent biblical side on them.
Tbh I just can’t be bothered googling any of the two of them,my beer is much more interesting, sorry KenL

Ehhhh...... tell me why I would,did he joke about gassing my child to death??? I didn’t hear him but yes, I guess I would,can you pm me his address.
And why is it important if I would criminalise anyone? I just want to extort my violent biblical side on them.
Tbh I just can’t be bothered googling any of the two of them,my beer is much more interesting, sorry KenL

Mel Brooks (A very Jewish comedy genius) unleashed this on audiences in 1967. when the aftermath of WW2 was still very raw.

Monty Python were accused of blasphemy when Life of Brian was released.

The point being that comedy (even comedy in bad taste) should not be criminalised.

Similarly, violence is never an acceptable response to "offence" - I wonder how many people condemning Dankula previously proclaimed "Je suis Charlie"?

Hope you don't got hangover..

Last edited:
Mel Brooks, genius or not is a dick in my book
Monty Python, about as funny as an infected beer
Who cares about criminalisation? I never called for that and anyone who has children and thinks jokes about them being raped or murderded are “funny” is one sick puppy in my book.
If I told a joke about that in your family living room and you didnt even attempt to hit me, then I would be offended!
I certainly wasn’t Je suis Charlie, people need to watch what they say it and when,freedom of speech is an easy thing to shout but why ridicule someone’s beliefs just for a “laugh” ( unless they believe Carling is really a drink)

Mel Brooks, genius or not is a dick in my book
Monty Python, about as funny as an infected beer
Who cares about criminalisation? I never called for that and anyone who has children and thinks jokes about them being raped or murderded are “funny” is one sick puppy in my book.
If I told a joke about that in your family living room and you didnt even attempt to hit me, then I would be offended!
I certainly wasn’t Je suis Charlie, people need to watch what they say it and when,freedom of speech is an easy thing to shout but why ridicule someone’s beliefs just for a “laugh” ( unless they believe Carling is really a drink)
Oh, and I got hangover ok,I didn’t accidentally pour n extra 1.1kg of malt into my Burco by accident you know :fart:

Last edited:
Mel Brooks (A very Jewish comedy genius) unleashed this on audiences in 1967. when the aftermath of WW2 was still very raw.

Monty Python were accused of blasphemy when Life of Brian was released.

The point being that comedy (even comedy in bad taste) should not be criminalised.

Similarly, violence is never an acceptable response to "offence" - I wonder how many people condemning Dankula previously proclaimed "Je suis Charlie"?

Hope you don't got hangover..
Maybe someone should have toured the country cracking jokes about Robert Black the child killer,he could have performed outside primary schools and working men’s clubs but shouted “no offence guv”
I wonder how many people would have said violence is not acceptable to “offence”

At the end of the day,whatever floats your boat

"people need to watch what they say it and when,freedom of speech is an easy thing to shout but why ridicule someone’s beliefs just for a “laugh”".

Sentiments that would have gone down well in Soviet Russia, Iran under Ayatollah Khomeini or Mao's China.

"people need to watch what they say it and when,freedom of speech is an easy thing to shout but why ridicule someone’s beliefs just for a “laugh”".

Sentiments that would have gone down well in Soviet Russia, Iran under Ayatollah Khomeini or Mao's China.
Ok bud,next time I pass you with your better half and shout,hey Ken,your wife has a butt like a bag of spanners and I wouldn’t do her with yours, I will remember I’m safe as violence is not an option as long as someone thinks it’s funny!!

That 'ignore' function they have on this site is extremely useful, isn't it? :thumb1:

Some members need to read up about Parliamentary Privilege as that seems to be the Freedom of Speech that they think we have in this country.

If we're going to play at using "Occam's razor", then lets look at the evidence. A man with no prior association with hate groups and liberal personal politics makes a video that he only expected to reach an audience of a few friends and starts it with an explanation that it is a joke, that it is only intended as a wind-up for his girlfriend and that he's only getting it to do something "horrible" because she's convinced it's super cute then the simplest explanation demanded by Occam is that he's not a Nazi, it's not a hate crime and it was only a joke!

At no point have I, or indeed anyone else on here, suggested that he is a Nazi. I think he's a very childish man who finds shock humour amusing.

His intent is not necessarily relevant when determining whether or not this constitutes hate speech. UK law states:

"A person who uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or displays any written material which is threatening, abusive or insulting, is guilty of an offence if—

(a) he intends thereby to stir up racial hatred, or
(b) having regard to all the circumstances racial hatred is likely to be stirred up thereby."

Note section b.

That 'ignore' function they have on this site is extremely useful, isn't it? :thumb1:

Some members need to read up about Parliamentary Privilege as that seems to be the Freedom of Speech that they think we have in this country.

I prefer not to use the 'ignore' function, we all live in too much of an echo chamber these days, I don't need to further enhance it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back