Guinness

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Having watched and enjoyed inside the Guinness factory with Greg Wallace I decided to give it another try, back in my lager drinking days i found the taste awful and i couldn't understand how anyone could enjoy it, my tastes have changed over the years and I no longer drink lager but my thoughts on Guinness haven't changed much its not as bad as i remember but its still for me not a pleasant drink, I will have to stick to Guinness West Indies Porter which is one of my go to beers.

Are there any other members here who are not keen?

Last edited:
Not a Guinness fan but strangely enough I can drink a can of 0% Guinness which is a milder taste allround than the real stuff which can be bitter and acrid to me

My father is a Guinness man and bought me a pot of Guinness when I was 15. Hated it. But as time went by came to love it. My sister at one time went out with a German, at the pub he asked for a Guinness never having tried it. Couldn't manage more than a couple of sips. It's like anything else, keep drinking it, and it becomes enjoyable. Never throw the towel in.
What happened to the German? He got the Tijuana, he not only couldn't drink, but he couldn't play darts either.

I had a few pints of Guinness at a party last night. I bought mine at the bar upstairs but noticed everyone else was going downstairs for their pints as they were far better as the lines are in constant use where the pumps upstairs are used only when a function is on. The difference was night and day. Guinness is al about the bar it’s served in I can drink Guinness in a bar but prefer a good IPA

I’m convinced when I lived in Germany in the mid 90s that the Guinness sold was Reinheitsgebot compliant.
It definitely tasted different but as the local pils was better and cheaper I didn’t have it that often

That west Indies porter is great in the bottle. Their taproom in Dublin shown on get or brewed looks fun as well.
I was in both last year and they are great places for a few pints. West Indies porter on tap in the bar in the storehouse was tasty. And the sky bar had foreign extra on tap as well.
The taproom had a good selection of beers pouring as well and the staff were very knowledgeable
We’ll worth a visit.

I drink Guinness quite a lot. Usually because I'm fed up of buying pints of mediocre real ale. Why is it my own pale ales are so much better than pub versions?
I find Guinness usually reliable smooth and easy drinking. Ok, it's not the best of the Irish stouts but no one round here stocks beamish or Murphy's.

I find Guinness usually reliable smooth and easy drinking. Ok, it's not the best of the Irish stouts but no one round here stocks beamish or Murphy's.
Im with you on that.
Murphys and Beamish are superior pints that seem to have dropped off the UK Market. Havnt seen them for years.
There is a Clone brewer on Ewetoob who claims the Murphys clone he does is affy close to the original in a side by side sup..
im looking forward to giving it a go

I’m convinced when I lived in Germany in the mid 90s that the Guinness sold was Reinheitsgebot compliant.
It definitely tasted different but as the local pils was better and cheaper I didn’t have it that often
It was, the EU later insisted that it was a barrier to free trade between member states. Imported beers now no longer need to comply to the reinheitsgebot .
The German reinheitsgebot compliant Guinness used all malt, roast malt instead of roast barley , and no barley only malt . It was also 1 abv stronger than the regular Guinness.

Having seen Brewdog Black Heart in the supermarket i decided to give it try (after my Guinness fail) as some reviewers said it wasn't as bitter and has a bit more of a coffee and chocolate flavour than Guinness, i tried one earlier and i do not agree to me it tastes as awful as Guinness so another fail by me, so off back to the shop for a couple of bottles of Guinness West indies Porter for later now this stuff i could drink all night ;)

1707494175857.png
1707494321362.png

Last edited:
https://www.wildabouthops.nz/amber_porter_and_stout_recipes.html
You should try this local recipe, @RoomWithABrew . I made it up a couple of years or so ago. It's nothing like the Guinness version, but a lovely drink nonetheless.

In fact it's a block of recipes. You have to scroll down to the Guinness West Indies Porter.
Thanks
I'll give it a go. I bought my hops from that website. Very helpful team there.
I will need to finish my tropical stout and make a dent in the full keg of historical brown stout.

Back