Hamilton gas burner flame

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will_raymo2000

Reaction score
Am in the final stretches of setting up my upgraded all shiny brewery but have a quick query...

I have bought the standard Large Gas Burner from gas products with a 4.5kg/hr 37mbar regulator but I don't think its burning right. The flame is roughly 8-9 inches tall but it's all yellow with only the bottom inch being blue. Is this normal for these burners or is there an air flow issue? It reminds me of being at school with the Bunsen burner on its low heat position.

Also on first firing it up the place reeks of burning paint, on further investigation the paint on the top has completely burnt off and left a nice black powder all over my new shiny boiler! Is that normal too?!

The paint burn-off and powder residue is quite normal.

The flame you describe isn't.

There's a retaining screw and a sliding cover over the air intake, it sounds like yours needs adjusting.

I may consider going to measure my air gap but my burner's behind the shed at the top of the garden and it's pissing it down at the moment.

I put my hand round the edge of the ring and the flame died down a bit. Is it more or less of a gap that I need?

As said above, the silver metal shroud that slides over the air gap is used to adjust the amount of air, very similar to a bunsen burner

I've found that if you close it to the fully shut position, lighting the burner is easier - trying to light it with the air fully open can cause blow backs and other scary situations :shock:

Once you have the flame going and fired up, open the air slider up to get a good blue flame. It's not too fussy about the exact position, but the instructions quote a dimension if you read them closely, it's a bit tucked away at the bottom of the page. IMHO they are a bit **** in terms of this adjustment and don't really cover it very well

will_raymo2000 said:
I put my hand round the edge of the ring and the flame died down a bit. Is it more or less of a gap that I need?
Less.

Ok, I've just sprinted up the garden and didn't get too soaked, mine has an air gap of around 8mm and gives a nice blue flame.

It was all going so well... Had 20 litres of water in the boiler to test for leaks and to burn off more of that black powder. It got up to the boil and I lifted the lid off and the most piercing noise in the world started.

Looked up and there was a heat detector above me linked in to my pubs fire alarm. Woops! So need to get on the phone to the fire alarm company and get them out to change it to a smoke instead of heat detector!

These are quite tricky to get right, You need enough "blue flame" Adjust the sleeve valve and the flame should cover the bottom of the pot. Any flames coming up the side I just wasting gas

Latest posts

Back