Hard cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich27

Reaction score
Hi all

A friend of ours has a small apple orchard and makes his own apple juice.

As he gives us so much of the stuff I thought, why not make some rough cider with it so I put 5 litres into a demi, sprinkled a small amount of cider yeast then applied the bung and bubbler. It's been bubbling away for 4 days now.

The apple juice I used had been in the fridge just over a week and smelled/tasted fine (not vinegary etc) I know ideally it should have been no more than 3 days old but is there any danger to using the juice after that length of time?

I read online someone stating that, if you leave fresh apple juice in the fridge too long it will 'eat you alive.' Were they referring to the natural alcohol production due to wild yeast or maybe something more sinister I'm wondering.

Many thanks

I'm not sure what "eat you alive" means but if it's in the fridge it's too cold for any wild yeast to work, which is why it says refrigerate after opening on the label.

Mine didn't say refrigerate after opening as it was home made but, that's common sense anyway.

I can now warn everyone about the dangers of consuming fresh apple juice that has been in the fridge for more than 3-4 days.

I got e-coli from mine and have never felt so ill. I'm on antibiotics and haven't been able to eat a meal for 4 days.

It seems the person who said "It will turn into a monster and eat you alive," wasn't mincing his words.

Lesson learned!

Back