Hard lumps of spraymalt in my brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maysie

Regular.
Reaction score
This morning I have started my first ever single can kit (Coopers stout) so it's the first time I have needed to incorporate dry ingredients into my brew.
I have followed the basic instructions on the can, ie add the can, sugar and 2 litres of boiling water (I also added 500g of spraymalt too).
I am not sure what has happened, but there are now loads of hard lumps of what look like spraymalt floating around in the mix (no cold water added yet).

Two Q's:
1. What should I have done differently to avoid the lumpy mix and
2. Will this be a problem for the brew (as I have no idea how to get them to dissolve now!)

TIA

This usually happens if the mix is too cold of if the spray malt cools the mix too low. It will dissolve in hotter water.

Try adding boiling water until it melts.

Alternatively try and crush the lumps against the side of the vessel with a spoon and stir them in.

Pour the spraymalt slowly through a small hole in the corner of the bag, and stir like crazy with your other free hand.

I have added spraymalt to cold water before with mixed without any issue, so i'm unsure if its a heat problem.

Fix a big whisk or paddle to a drill and your laughing :party:

Spraymalt should be mixed into cold water to avoid the clumping issue ;)

It will dissolve with time, some more boiling water and stirring will help get rid of the lumps.

RDWHAHB

Thanks for the replies guys. :thumb:

I will pre-mix the spraymalt next time to avoid lumps, but for this brew I just added a bit more hot water then beat the living daylights out of it with my spoon until I could take no more. If the yeastie beasties don't chew their way through the lumps then hopefully they will get left in the FV when I rack it.

Yet another school day! :cheers:

Looking forward to this one as it has great reviews and my current stout stock levels have reached critical levels!

I brew Boil in the Bag, so I use my chosen grains, bag them up and steep them for an hour at 75°C. I then mix 4 Kg of my chosen DSM to 5 Ltr of cold water and use a hand held " Soup Blitzer" to mix it. This takes around 2 minutes, no lumps!! Sorted. I then mix my grain Wort minus the bags, and carry on with my boil and hopping. Cheers. 17057444799184988290829919851142.jpg

Back