Has anyone brewed with sugar puffs?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodape

Reaction score
Right you probably think I'm off my rocker but just to clarify this wasn't my idea.

A mate of mine just linked me to this article and I'm actually very tempted to try this when my house will stay warm enough for anything to ferment.

Anyone done it or got a good reason not to?

Cheers :cheers:

I haven't but i want to. :thumb: might do a 10L experimental batch...I've got the EKG. Need to get a little more MO and rummage through my cupboard for those sugar puffs.

Not being funny but Why :wha: :wha:

Sugar puffs is only Torrified wheat ( which tastes Rank in beer wheat malt is better IMHO) with loads of sugar and honey.

I usually like John Wright but he obviously couldn't find anything to forage when he wrote that one. Stick to foraging the Fields John not the middle englands kitchen cupboard.

Forgot it was for Guardian readers :lol: :lol:

A sensible recipe wouldn't have made it into the newspaper. Add honey not sugar puffs.

Dare I suggest which side of the line that divides amateur brewing into subsets of Craft Brewing and Homebrew...?

I have noticed that quite a few people who frequent 'green' forums and some bloggers actually don't give a t*ss what they drink.

I did see one forager's blog where the guy used alcotec yeasts with his hedgerow cider, then wondered why he had a hangover. I have tried to educate about the wonders of Old Rosie but to no avail.

John Wright has gone down in my estimations for putting his name to that one.

sounds like fun if u fancy an experiment, but tbh its rare one of my experiments turns out beer as good as beer brewed using common sense, will definitely be drinkable though. if u want beer- brew beer :D

And that's the thing...

A fair few (most?) of us see our brewing as craft brewing - trying to make really good, personal, tasty beers from great ingredients. Making stuff that's way better than the mass market commercial beer. Not just drink.

Now, don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with experimentation. Cock Ale and Tomato Wine spring to mind along with the Back to Basics challenges. It's fun. ScottM's Irn Brew Chew... :thumb:

...but this article seems to take itself seriously. Really? Sugar puffs in beer, serious? It can't be anything more than space filler can it?

Wheat is great in beer just not torrified, because it makes your beer taste of .......ehhhh......cereals :lol: :lol:

It is also introducing additional 100% fermentables which is not good in a beer of that gravity.

Yes it would make beer but so would some pale malt wheat malt and a bit of honey if that floats your boat.

Surely a guy who advocates foraging and is the side kick of a cook who would never entertain supermarket bought sugary foods in his kitchen, shouldn't be writing about sugar puff beer.

Mind you watching his attempt at ginger beer on River cottage I don't think he knows much about brewing. :lol: :lol:

calumscott said:
And that's the thing...

A fair few (most?) of us see our brewing as craft brewing - trying to make really good, personal, tasty beers from great ingredients. Making stuff that's way better than the mass market commercial beer. Not just drink.

Now, don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with experimentation. Cock Ale and Tomato Wine spring to mind along with the Back to Basics challenges. It's fun. ScottM's Irn Brew Chew... :thumb:

...but this article seems to take itself seriously. Really? Sugar puffs in beer, serious? It can't be anything more than space filler can it?

I dont think anyone on here would actually brew this seriously thinking it would be good beer.

I enjoyed reading some of the challenges that have been done on the forum before my time and would like to take part in any future ones. Would definately be up for a Back to basics one in the future. Not so sure about the cock ale though... :sick:

Back