Has the cold killed my beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QED

Reaction score
Had a brew-day on Sunday, a recipe that I have used before using DME, and a few different hops (so I know it works!).

My brewery is in the garage however even with my brew-belt on and the FV wrapped up, due to the cold weather, it cooled to 8C so after 24 hrs, nothing had happened (obviously).

I moved the FV into the house and gave the wort a stir however after another 24hrs at a now 21C, still nothing! There is what appears to be sediment at the bottom of the FV now compared to in suspended lumps which is what it looked like when I took it in from the garage but no sign of fermentation taking place.

Have I killed it by leaving it in the cold? Can I revive the brew? :hmm:

Thanks

Assuming it's an ale and not a lager, you probably just dropped the yeast out of suspension with those cold temps. Get it warmed back up to ale temps in your house and then stir it back up again. If nothing happens after a day or two, I'd pitch more yeast.

Hmm, just done a bit of searching on t'internet and it turns out that my yeast may be a dud. I used Danstar Nottingham and there's been a recall of their yeast. Now I don't know for certain that I had one of the affected batch (as I threw the pack out) however the Use By date was the same as the affected batch.

An S04 is going in there first thing tomorrow if there's no movement!

S04 added and stirred and now fermenting nicely. Phew, brew saved.

Note to self (and other not so experienced brewers), always have a spare yeast. That could have been a disaster if I didn't have one available!

Latest posts

Back