Have a go at simple AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are recipes for those, AG is a revelation after kits, you can make whatever you like and you learn all about ingredients, recipes, different kinds of beer etc.

Right I changed my original recipe slightly,
2.8kg Maris otter
200g crystal
200g chocolate malt
200g flaked oats
250g roasted barley
25g challenger 60min boil
60mins mash
10 ltr mash
11 litre sparge
I needed just over 90 mins to boil off to get the correct values and litres all went really well and bubbling away nicely with craft series mo3 yeast

I even managed to knock up a 10 meter wort cooler 13 row 150mm coils the ends bent crudely to get me going but plenty left on to cut back and do proper lol, I will now alter the same recipe so I can try side by side here's to my first proper brew

Right I changed my original recipe slightly,
2.8kg Maris otter
200g crystal
200g chocolate malt
200g flaked oats
250g roasted barley
25g challenger 60min boil
60mins mash
10 ltr mash
11 litre sparge
I needed just over 90 mins to boil off to get the correct values and litres all went really well and bubbling away nicely with craft series mo3 yeast

I even managed to knock up a 10 meter wort cooler 13 row 150mm coils the ends bent crudely to get me going but plenty left on to cut back and do proper lol, I will now alter the same recipe so I can try side by side here's to my first proper brew

Excellent job there mereside! An impressive entrance into AG! And fantastic pics too. Thanks for posting them on the thread. :thumb:

Top job. That first pic looks like your making porridge to last you a month!!

I bought the pan. My ability to build anything like that is nil!

if you mean the wort cooler then it is the simplist thing in the world you can get a roll of 10mm pipe from bnq either 8mtr or 10mtr these come pr coiled so simple.
take coil out of the bag and measure a length that you want to hook over the side of your pan and keep this straight. drop a 5ltr paint tin into the middle of you coil hold the straight piece against the side of the paint tin holding the first large coil wind around the tin.
once you have a couple of wingdings it stays tight to the tin and keep twirling the roll around the tin till you get to the last section to bend up to match the first straight portion of pipe, now here's were i rushed and kinked the pipe over which was not good I should have used another smaller paint spray can to get a nice curve but wanted to get underway but plenty on the coil to cut out the kink and do properly, it didn't actually take very long to make and cooling was very fast indeed, very pleased I will now use some food grade tube and a stainless clip to fix hose properly.

ha ha teach me to read posts properly on the phone lol, just seen you where talking about your brew pot lol

I ended up checking my gravity on my stout as I had no more activity, I was concerned as my house temps dropped,
it had stuck at 1018 which i feared so i upped the temp and have given it a stir about in the hopes it will get going again, i sanitized another lid to replace the one i took off as i splashed it. There is now pressure on the lid once more so feeling happier just hope I don't get an infection as i am petrified i ruin it. On the upside i tasted the sample i used to test the gravity and i am well pleased even this early stage the flavor is very nice indeed fingers crossed now till it goes to bottle, atb wayne

I ended up checking my gravity on my stout as I had no more activity, I was concerned as my house temps dropped,
it had stuck at 1018 which i feared so i upped the temp and have given it a stir about in the hopes it will get going again, i sanitized another lid to replace the one i took off as i splashed it. There is now pressure on the lid once more so feeling happier just hope I don't get an infection as i am petrified i ruin it. On the upside i tasted the sample i used to test the gravity and i am well pleased even this early stage the flavor is very nice indeed fingers crossed now till it goes to bottle, atb wayne

Hold your nerve, it sounds fine, just needs patience and time. :thumb:

All looking good with my first going to bottle this weekend as it is now at correct og, I have another question as I went out and got a larger pan today and more ingredients for no 2.
My larger pan is 33ltr so would this be large enough to do a batch of around 22ltr and if so what would be my mash water size and how much would be best for sparge, sorry for all the questions, Wayne.

All looking good with my first going to bottle this weekend as it is now at correct og, I have another question as I went out and got a larger pan today and more ingredients for no 2.
My larger pan is 33ltr so would this be large enough to do a batch of around 22ltr and if so what would be my mash water size and how much would be best for sparge, sorry for all the questions, Wayne.

Firstly, how will you boil that quantity of beer? Not many cookers will handle it I think.

I was hoping the range would cope and would do a trial run but I will go with a gas burner which will make more sense and keep it separate.atb Wayne

Ok. You could do a trial run on the range. It might work, maybe across more than one burner.

Total water required will depend on the rate of evaporation, approx 30 litres I reckon. This might leave you short but you could top up with cold water. The next time you can increase the water by how much you were short.

The split depends on your sparging arrangements. What equipment will you use to sparge, and what capacity? 15 litres mash and 15 sparge would be ok. Or you could fit as much of the 30 litres in the mash as possible, skip the sparge, and just add the remaining water after the grain is removed. This is more like the true BIAB method.

Thanks so much for all your help, I have no equipment for sparging my first one I just suspended my grain and trickled the water and tried to squeeze as much out as possible and repeated.
I was planning to use another tub suspended so I could drop the bag in and do similar, if I don't do this how does it effect the end results, I thought it helped get as much of the sugars out, I need to spend more time to read up more and understand the whole process, atb Wayne

Thanks so much for all your help, I have no equipment for sparging my first one I just suspended my grain and trickled the water and tried to squeeze as much out as possible and repeated.
I was planning to use another tub suspended so I could drop the bag in and do similar, if I don't do this how does it effect the end results, I thought it helped get as much of the sugars out, I need to spend more time to read up more and understand the whole process, atb Wayne

Stick to what you know for now, and see how you get on with the bigger brew. Good luck.

firstly I would just like to thank you again clibit, I bottled my first AG tonight and i had to sample the last bit as it was too little to put into a bottle :p lol. wow my first impression was the smell when i put my nose to the glass then how good it tastes at this early stage I cannot believe how it has turned out.
26 bottles in total which are now going away to carb up, I now need to get another on the go but started this morning going through the whole BIAB process and after reading up more and more will stick to the true methods and do a full batch without faffing too much with sparge just bring up the temps with the bag off the base of the pan to raise the temps I want to stick to minimal gear and will be interested to see how the next one goes, thanks once again for all your help I would also urge anyone to have a go and see how it turns out for you,atb wayne.
ps once the bottles are ready I will post a pic of my first proper pint

Pleased it's worked out for you so far, I'm looking forward to hearing how the finished beer tastes. Imagine all the beers you can now make.

I hope you get all you asked for and can get ya boxing day brew on amigo :thumb:
I'm collecting bits and pieces myself and hopefully I will not be too far behind you :grin:

Well I couldn't wait any longer 😁 and a very nice surprise this early on a nice roast flavour with a nice bitterness without any sweetness which I was hoping for as my canned brews were way to sweet for me. It's not had long so wasn't expecting much carb and it is fine. My only thing now is giving it enough time to develope properly. I think I need to do another pronto the next one will go into corny and hoping to do a few over this holiday thanks again Wayne

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back