Have a go at simple AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I couldn't wait any longer ������ and a very nice surprise this early on a nice roast flavour with a nice bitterness without any sweetness which I was hoping for as my canned brews were way to sweet for me. It's not had long so wasn't expecting much carb and it is fine. My only thing now is giving it enough time to develope properly. I think I need to do another pronto the next one will go into corny and hoping to do a few over this holiday thanks again Wayne

Looks brilliant! :thumb:

Tastes great too, so pleased I read your thread and with your help no looking back now, thanks so much, here's my next pan all set up with its jacket and so looking forward to my next creations, Atb Wayne

image.jpg

Tastes great too, so pleased I read your thread and with your help no looking back now, thanks so much, here's my next pan all set up with its jacket and so looking forward to my next creations, Atb Wayne

Where do you get those pans and jackets?

The pan is I believe a malt Miller one but I got it off here secondhand the jacket I made out of a camping Matt I had some double sided Velcro I used to secure I just cut slots for the handles and lid, Atb Wayne

The pan is I believe a malt Miller one but I got it off here secondhand the jacket I made out of a camping Matt I had some double sided Velcro I used to secure I just cut slots for the handles and lid, Atb Wayne

Nice job! Looks good.

Thanks for the comments, The head didn't last long but I think it really hasn't had long to carb up and I haven't had chance to chill just really wanted a taster Lol I use my matt all the time but needs must, if you use it cut the main section about 10-15mm higher and 10 mm on the lid so it can tuck up inside, I also gave a slight air gap to trap the warm air, Atb wayne

Shiny pot delivered, targeting first 9l brew for new years Eve/day.

Planning a Scottish heavy to see if I can better the one can kits I did in October.

Looking at
1.7kg pale malt
0.15kg of dark crystal and
0.15kg of coffee malt.
I have 50g of phoenix hops left from a dry hop experiment. So was going for 10g at 60mins and 15 at 5mins to go.
Using safale us04.
Brew smith tells me that this is off style with the amount of hops, but the rest is ok.
Is there a good estimate for first time simple ag brew efficiency? and how do I calculate it for future?

Is there a good estimate for first time simple ag brew efficiency? and how do I calculate it for future?

It'll be between 60 and 80% barring an error or a magnificent first mash, 65-70 is probably a good estimate. Depends a lot on the grain crush.

Just put my first AG on (fingers crossed)
800g maris otter
200g crystal malt
will be adding 5g challenger hops at boiling point
then 5g 55 mins later
question is, how much irish moss do I need to add, as it's only a 5l brew?

Just put my first AG on (fingers crossed)
800g maris otter
200g crystal malt
will be adding 5g challenger hops at boiling point
then 5g 55 mins later
question is, how much irish moss do I need to add, as it's only a 5l brew?

Very little, quarter of a teaspoon.

Good luck. :thumb:

I read the whole thread again today and I'm amazed at how much I've picked up since last reading it, stuff that didn't make sense or terms I'd never heard of are quite clear in me head now, anyway a few things came up whilst reading the thread again

1.The first post and post 262 mention a video but there doesn't seem to be a link?

2..Lots of reports of not enough litres left after the boil so should the start amount of 7L be increased to 8 - 8.5L, say 4 litres mash and 4 litres sparge?

3. Irish moss/whirfloc are used by most people but its not in the first post, I know the idea was to keep it simple but it is used and its not a hard step to learn

4. During the hot break is it best to skim off the protein scum or mash it back in and leave it to settle into trub?

5.I read somewhere else whilst researching AG that it is best to add first bittering hops after the hot break and start timing 60 mins from then?
as the first hop addition often triggers foaming

I read the whole thread again today and I'm amazed at how much I've picked up since last reading it, stuff that didn't make sense or terms I'd never heard of are quite clear in me head now, anyway a few things came up whilst reading the thread again

1.The first post and post 262 mention a video but there doesn't seem to be a link? It got removed at some point, no idea why.

2..Lots of reports of not enough litres left after the boil so should the start amount of 7L be increased to 8 - 8.5L, say 4 litres mash and 4 litres sparge?
I can't edit the post now, but the amount of water will vary from person to person. I did increase the sparge from three to four litres which seemed to reduce the reports of finishing short.

3. Irish moss/whirfloc are used by most people but its not in the first post, I know the idea was to keep it simple but it is used and its not a hard step to learn
I kept it as simple as possible in terms of ingredients, for people to try one brew then find out more.

4. During the hot break is it best to skim off the protein scum or mash it back in and leave it to settle into trub? It makes no difference in my experience, I leave it alone.

5.I read somewhere else whilst researching AG that it is best to add first bittering hops after the hot break and start timing 60 mins from then?
as the first hop addition often triggers foaming. I think this is not worth worrying about, exaggerated issue.

Thanks for reading through, and for your comments. My replies above. Cheers.

cheers clibit, I'll have one on the go before too long, feckin xmas messed up shopping for ingredients for me blonde style ale, so I did a couple wows instead!

I'm getting some yeast from the local brewery and hopefully full details on their blonde as soon as I catch up with the lad who works there.

cheers clibit, I'll have one on the go before too long, feckin xmas messed up shopping for ingredients for me blonde style ale, so I did a couple wows instead!

I'm getting some yeast from the local brewery and hopefully full details on their blonde as soon as I catch up with the lad who works there.

Some fresh brewery yeast will be great. Which brewery?

Latest posts

Back