Have a go at simple AG

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Reaction score
you will be fine,
You will soon gain confidence ,just take your time, at the end of your brewday ,even if you dont hit your targets, you will still have beer fermenting in your fv ,and you will be planing your next brew :)

Pete9586

Regular.
Reaction score
Don't be nervous. We've all been there.
Take lots of notes at every step and learn from any mistakes. It's actually not that difficult and you'll nearly always have good beer to drink. It'll get easier and better with time. Keep us updated as you move along in your brewing journey.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Don't be nervous. We've all been there.
Take lots of notes at every step and learn from any mistakes. It's actually not that difficult and you'll nearly always have good beer to drink. It'll get easier and better with time. Keep us updated as you move along in your brewing journey.
Thank you,I appreciate the encouragement!👍:thumbsup:

Reaction score
Thank you,I've been doing all in one kits. I'll check them out,I've an extract kit,plus a biab kit +peco boiler set up on the way from Get er brewed. And an all grain blonde ale kit with it. Slightly nervous about doing it.
BIAB is a great way to start all grain brewing and get to understand the process, simple and produces fantastic beer.
It's worth checking out the free Brewfather app to begin putting together your own recipes.
Good luck !

clib

Regular.
Reaction score
Any online brewing videos you recommend for extract and all grain?
There used to be a video linked in the OP. It's probably gone. Zillions of them on YouTube obviously but just follow the ten steps and beer shall be forthcoming. Real beer, made from plants and fungi with your own bare hands. In your kitchen. 👍

Don't fret the details. At this stage. If ever. 🤠

If you end up under volume, like 3 or 4 litres instead of 5, take a hydrometer reading and add water to bring the gravity down to where you want it. Google 'brewing dilution calculator'.

Reaction score
I did my first all grain brew today (first brew of any kind tbh!). It wasn't without it's struggles but it's all in the fermentation vessels and I'm hopeful athumb..

I made 10L of a SMASH Citra using BIAB; OG - 1.060 which was probably a little higher than I expected but I decided to keep with it instead of diluting down as my fermentation vessels were pretty full and don't dare overfill to see a mess in the morning! I have 2 x 5L demijohns for fermentation and plan to dry hop one and double dry hop the other, just to see how the flavour changes.

Will report in a couple of weeks when, fingers crossed, the fermentation should have run it's course!

S.R.S

Reaction score
just tried this out and everything went fine until trying to pour the wort into the demijohn and the cloth collected so much debris it wouldn't drain so ended up pouring it all in directly. The resulting wort was 4l and showed an og of 1.050, so no idea what the correct og should be now. As well as that the demijohn looks extremely murky with all the debris floating around in it.
Apart from not knowing what the abv will be, is this likely to turn out OK?

Reaction score
just tried this out and everything went fine until trying to pour the wort into the demijohn and the cloth collected so much debris it wouldn't drain so ended up pouring it all in directly. The resulting wort was 4l and showed an og of 1.050, so no idea what the correct og should be now. As well as that the demijohn looks extremely murky with all the debris floating around in it.
Well done on your first go. Things get easier as you refine your process and troubleshoot problems. The gunk in your wort will settle so I wouldn't worry about that. Once fermentation has completed (generally people give it 2 weeks), take another reading. You can then work out the abv. Am sure it will be a great success 👍.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I haven't attempted it yet I'm ashamed to say......I haven't had enough time with 2 young kids and stuff that needs done to the house etc.....
Getting my head around doing extract brews at the moment.

clib

Regular.
Reaction score
It'll be fine. It should give you an ABV in the region of 5%. You can dilute if you like. Adding a litre of water would make it approx 4%.

Getting a grain bag that drains would help. You could try one of those 25p mesh reusable vegetable bags you get at supermarkets. I think you'd get a kilo or so of grain in those.