Have I left it to long

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcusp

Reaction score
I normally keg all my beer in cornies but I'm going away at Xmas self catering and fancy taking some beer with me.
I made a coopers dark ale and bought some coopers pet bottles but out of habit after the beer finished fermentation I left it in a cool place for two weeks to clear.
My issue is although the beer has cleared nicely and the yeast has all fallen out have I left it to long to bottle.
My concern is that there won't be any yeast left to start carbonation in the bottle.

Any thoughts ?

There will still be some suspended yeast in your beer. But your right, there might not be enough for a good carbonation. You could try adding more yeast to the bottles.

johnnyboy1965 said:
There will still be some suspended yeast in your beer. But your right, there might not be enough for a good carbonation. You could try adding more yeast to the bottles.
I would disagree with this. I largered at 1c for 6 weeks, my bottles carbed up fine

crE said:
johnnyboy1965 said:
I would disagree with this. I largered at 1c for 6 weeks, my bottles carbed up fine

I also think you'll carb up fine, there will be plenty of yeast in suspension :thumb:

I always wait for the beer to clear before bottling (I mean crystal clear). I think it makes sure the primary fermentation has totally completed and I have found the result is better tasting beer which seems to condition reasonably quickly. I have never had a problem with carbonation. It also leaves less yeast in the bottom of the bottle, no bad thing.

Latest posts

Back