Help with Pale clarity

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would be very grateful if anyone could give me some advice with regards to the clarity of my Pale Ales. I use an AIO and whirlpool at the end of the boil. The wort is always clear when transferring to the fermenter but after dry hopping I am always left with something that resembles orange juice in clarity. I cold crash too but this does not seem to help in the clearance or the adding of finings.

All my darks are spot on, just the pales.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

How much dry hop are you using? because dry hopping can be the cause of clarity issues sometimes and as you are not dry hopping the dark ales I am guessing it will point to that not helping with the clarity

This is my New Zealand IPA
Pale malt and carapils, 150g dry hop
IMG_20230414_210609786.jpg

This has now come to the end of life in the keg and was also dry hopped. But still after 80 days still isn’t clear, tastes nice though. Don’t fret too much if it’s not cleared.
C32F61CE-DDCE-4046-8C23-400CA32993AB.jpeg

I agree with the posters upthread: if perfect clarity is important to you, I'd forget about dry-hopping.

I would be very grateful if anyone could give me some advice with regards to the clarity of my Pale Ales. I use an AIO and whirlpool at the end of the boil. The wort is always clear when transferring to the fermenter but after dry hopping I am always left with something that resembles orange juice in clarity. I cold crash too but this does not seem to help in the clearance or the adding of finings.

All my darks are spot on, just the pales.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
A bit more information about your process would help, saying your dark beers are fine and your pales not, tends to suggest you are not treating your water. The dark malts will have a higher buffering capacity than the pale malts
So pH could be an issue more in the boil and sparge than in the mash, sparging with a high pH will wash out not only sugars but proteins, polyphenols and tannins which along with yeast particles will give a cloudy beer, though the yeast will drop out over time the others won't. There are a few other things to take into consideration milling of the grain, to fine and having husk particles in the boil will create tannins, hops also attribute to the polyphenol count.

A bit more information about your process would help, saying your dark beers are fine and your pales not, tends to suggest you are not treating your water. The dark malts will have a higher buffering capacity than the pale malts
So pH could be an issue more in the boil and sparge than in the mash, sparging with a high pH will wash out not only sugars but proteins, polyphenols and tannins which along with yeast particles will give a cloudy beer, though the yeast will drop out over time the others won't. There are a few other things to take into consideration milling of the grain, to fine and having husk particles in the boil will create tannins, hops also attribute to the polyphenol count.
I was going to mention this and also use a yeast that drops out will help too.

If I’m looking for a really clear beer I always use some type of finings just before I cold crash. I have found Starbrite to be very good but prefer to use BRAUSOL from 3P’S Brewery.
Not for everyone I know but suits my purpose .

Thanks for all your advice. I guess the end game with this, is to accept it will be cloudy if I have dry hopped. TBH, i am fine with this as it still tastes great. I will add, I did treat the water it’s just after the dry hopping that this issue arises.

I will may take the advice of BB and add them as a late addition instead and see how I get on.

My first few brews all suffered chill haze. Lovely and clear at 20 degs C while bottle conditioning, but cloudy after sitting the fridge.
That seems to have disappeared after I paid more attention to mash temp, tweaking the settings to achieve a real 65, 67 (or whatever) in the mash. Plus a more vigorous boil. No idea on the science, it's just what I've observed...

Last edited:
My first few brews all suffered chill haze. Lovely and clear at 20 degs C, but cloudy after sitting the fridge.
That seems to have disappeared after I paid more attention to mash temp, tweaking the settings to achieve a real 65, 67 (or whatever) in the mash. Plus a more vigorous boil. No idea on the science, it's just what I've observed...
The boil is what made the difference, a good vigorous boil not only gets rid of the unwanted volatiles but helps in the precipitation of unwanted protein and tannins.

Thanks for all your advice. I guess the end game with this, is to accept it will be cloudy if I have dry hopped.
Not true! I kegged a pale beer yesterday which had been dry hopped with 30g of Ahtanum for six days. No cold crashing but fined with 1 teaspoon of gelatin. Today it is crystal clear in the keg (I use a dip tube).

My first few brews all suffered chill haze. Lovely and clear at 20 degs C while bottle conditioning, but cloudy after sitting the fridge.
I get chill haze as well. I've tried all the remedies suggested here. Mash temp, pH, sparge temp/ph, long boil, short boil, gentle boil, vigorous boil. It's still there when fridges but crystal clear at room temp. No idea why.

2-3 weeks in the fridge forces the chill haze to form and then clear.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/chill-haze-and-cold-conditioning.101899/

Not true! I kegged a pale beer yesterday which had been dry hopped with 30g of Ahtanum for six days. No cold crashing but fined with 1 teaspoon of gelatin. Today it is crystal clear in the keg (I use a dip tube).

Hmm, yes, gelatine is going to make a big difference and will clear a 30g dry hop pretty well but a 150g dry hop is a different story. We need to remember we are home brewers. Most commercial breweries filter their beer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back