Hazelwood’s Brewday Part 2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The imperial went into the fermenter yesterday at around 5:30pm and has already filled the available head space. CO2 production is strong but not yet at it’s peak. 😳

19C8B7DF-9DCC-4065-A6C4-97928F0232DE.jpeg

My clarity is poor, I was thinking about this last night. I brew biab so no circulation, I am wondering would this have an effect.

There are different schools of thought on this and I think one Brulosophy Xbeeriment suggested throwing all the muck from your kettle into your fermenter resulted in clearer beer. My school of thought is keep every stage clear if you can and leave all the muck behind.

I recirculate through the mash
I skim off the hot-break
I let the cooled wort sit and settle before transfer to the fermenter, leaving behind the cold break.
I use a high flocculating yeast (in most beers) and give the yeast time to do it’s job - minimum 12 days and sometimes a few more.

I put a little protofloc in the last 5 mins of the boil but no other finings and I don’t cold crash. Liberty Bell is a great yeast for English beers and it flocculates well. This was looking into the fermenting bucket at the end of the transfer…

View attachment 76681
That does look like a compact yeast cake, reminds me of S-04. Any idea what Liberty Bell is? Also do you keep the beer in the fermenter for 2 weeks? I'll check out protofloc, thanks.

Ignore the last question was posting at the same time!

That does look like a compact yeast cake, reminds me of S-04. Any idea what Liberty Bell is? Also do you keep the beer in the fermenter for 2 weeks? I'll check out protofloc, thanks.

Ignore the last question was posting at the same time!
I don’t really know although I have a vague recollection there’s a connection with SO4?

There are a few spreadsheets out there that attempt to bring all the equivalents together but I haven’t taken a lot of interest as yet, I just use the yeasts I like.

Back