Hazelwood’s Brewday Part 2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi @Hazelwood Brewery,
For your nitro do you use a normal bottle of mixed gas or the little 4g gas canisters? I tried the little canisters but I practically had to use a fresh one with each pour! I think I might need to invest in a proper regulator and a 3 or 6kg bottle...

Hi Joe! I use a 6Kg 30/70 mixed gas bottle and the associated mixed gas primary regulator. The investment will soon pay for itself considering the cost of those gas bulbs - your first bottle of gas can be offset against the cost of 1,500 x 4g gas bulbs!

Given that on average I get a brew on every week and I’ve only brewed one beer in 7 weeks it doesn’t take a genius to see I’m heading for a problem if I don’t get back to it asap.

First job is a good clean of my kit after it’s been sitting for several weeks. This is the cleaning setup. Everything gets back-flushed with ball-valves half open to allow access to the void around the ball (a hot-spot for unwanted bugs). I’m using hot sodium percarbonate, heated by the boiler element. A minute of pumping, ten minutes of soaking, repeat for as long as I can be bothered then rinse and flush through with Starsan for a while. There are other bits like hop bag, bazooka, pipes, spoons inside the boiler. After it’s all done I will strip down the pump and give that a clean ready for brewing - maybe tomorrow.

737672F5-125D-4BBF-B6B1-C7841867983A.jpeg

Clean up done and looking shiny and new.
F46BF442-1D6B-45E0-A9BB-171196B51488.jpeg

The pump was mucky but also now nice and clean.
43BDE687-C20F-4815-B862-454947CC87CE.jpeg
BC0C4D04-1546-4D37-B695-13FDC05754FB.jpeg

E676A4C7-580B-479F-AE41-582E98DE0520.jpeg
3AC6D0FC-0DBA-4AD3-BFB2-292DC51FBAAD.jpeg

A3E24207-46D1-45D6-834C-1CEF7C4228A4.jpeg
AE27A17E-6EC5-49D5-BA69-DC3B9A18BBF4.jpeg

Just milled the grain and after replacing the deionisation crystals (the orange colour indicates they need to be changed) I’m collecting some RO water for a brew tomorrow.
0996E452-9870-4776-B76C-ED7A8151333A.jpeg
58B87C0C-5D2F-460F-B03C-D340F61BDF7E.jpeg

This will be another batch of Best Bitter which I will follow with a Brown Ale, a Porter, and something hoppy but not yet decided.

Last edited:
The Porter is done.
View attachment 78452
My fourth brew was going to be something hoppy but now I’m not sure. I currently have 3 hoppy beers but only 1 bitter so I’m considering getting another bitter brewed. Not decided for sure either way so I might not brew tomorrow while I ponder.
I brewed a porter myself today. I plan to dry hop with some coffee beans. Still haven't work that bit out yet 👍

I plan to dry hop with some coffee beans. Still haven't work that bit out yet
For my clone of Elusive's Spellbinder I just threw in 100g of coffee beans in about the same time as I would normally dry hop. Left them in at 18C for a few days, cold crashed it and racked. This was for a 20l batch. Came out fairly mild in terms of coffee flavour.

Given that on average I get a brew on every week and I’ve only brewed one beer in 7 weeks it doesn’t take a genius to see I’m heading for a problem if I don’t get back to it asap.

First job is a good clean of my kit after it’s been sitting for several weeks. This is the cleaning setup. Everything gets back-flushed with ball-valves half open to allow access to the void around the ball (a hot-spot for unwanted bugs). I’m using hot sodium percarbonate, heated by the boiler element. A minute of pumping, ten minutes of soaking, repeat for as long as I can be bothered then rinse and flush through with Starsan for a while. There are other bits like hop bag, bazooka, pipes, spoons inside the boiler. After it’s all done I will strip down the pump and give that a clean ready for brewing - maybe tomorrow.

The pump was mucky but also now nice and clean.
View attachment 78321 View attachment 78324
View attachment 78322 View attachment 78325
View attachment 78323 View attachment 78327
That's come up lovely and clean, guess I should check my pump!! Do you find you get a dry white deposit after using sodium percarbonate? I use B&M's Oxi powder and get a powdery white deposit after rinsing.

That's come up lovely and clean, guess I should check my pump!! Do you find you get a dry white deposit after using sodium percarbonate? I use B&M's Oxi powder and get a powdery white deposit after rinsing.
I don’t because I rinse with clean tap water. From a toxicity perspective you don’t need to rinse but if you don’t want that powdery residue you do need to rinse. Also note that each of those particles can form a neucleation point if you don’t rinse out your bottles and all those neucleation points could lead to gushers.

Also note that each of those particles can form a neucleation point if you don’t rinse out your bottles
I have to admit I just rinse my bottles and give it a good shake after pouring and then dry upside down, occasionally I'll get the bottle brush out. I then just sanitise and stick on the bottle tree on racking day... So far so good!

Busy day on the brewing front today. I’ve cleaned bottles, cleaned kegs, cleaned my beer lines, kegged 2 beers, and selected the beers I want on tap for guests coming round at the weekend. This afternoon I’ll be bottling beers for swaps and comps. Todays kegged beers…

First up a Brown Ale. This turned out at 4.8% and is pretty clear out of the fermenter. Sweet, caramel, floral, bitter.

5D142330-1A1A-4564-A12D-AA46BE5E970F.jpeg

Next a porter at 4.6%. Also pretty clear out of the fermenter. Roasty, hints of chocolate and coffee, mild floral notes, moderately bitter finish.

CC0023B0-0E0A-4914-8D72-82A473F6D212.jpeg

I’m thinking of brewing a Smoked Porter and kegging it. Have I left it too late for Christmas? Either tomorrow or next Tuesday?

It’s been two weeks since I last cleaned my beer lines so today is beer line cleaning day - yay! While cleaning the disconnects I noticed a small problem with a split adapter. I’ve replaced it with a spare but will look out for this from now on because a failure here could potentially result in a keg of beer being sprayed around the brewshed.
02C8730D-3386-405E-BF18-A352949CC853.jpeg

After the line cleaning I always test the beers on tap. In part I am actually making sure the beers are all still tasting good but mostly I’m just enjoying a beer 😉. All the beers on tap I’m pleased to say are good to go.
5EEF2EB0-BA9D-4688-A88E-180BB4E125A5.jpeg

While cleaning the lines I also turned my mind to my next batch and decided it is likely to include Rye IPA for the swap, another porter because that’s gone down quickly, another Butterfly Effect because by the weight of the keg I’m about to run out, and of course a bitter because that’s my staple. I’ll check on stocks and get an order in for anything I need so I can start early in the new year.

Back