Hazelwood’s Brewday Part 2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently put the winter coat (clear tarps) on my brew shed so we can use the bar in bad weather.
FA8D997E-FCAE-43BB-A7F2-555CD6C8762F.jpeg

It’s great for that purpose but not so good if I’m doing a brew because of the steam so for todays brew I opened up the top of one panel. You can see it folded down here.
DB37B8C7-27CE-4E6B-83FA-6C6899754DFF.jpeg

You can see the steam escaping in this picture (I’m not in there smoking weed! 😂). I only have to undo 5 bolts so it’s easy enough and is definitely less effort than wiping up all the condensation on everything.
5090F8C8-E2AA-4804-B389-2819A0584DC8.jpeg

Todays brew of pale ale is done and in the fermenter. I’ve also prepared the water and grist for tomorrows brew of my best bitter.
DA23244E-2647-4646-95AB-9AA2AF2179CF.jpeg

Must be nice living somewhere just a little transparent plastic is enough to combat the worst of the cold...

Been thinking of doing something similair but it would only be used during summer since countering temps in the -30's and snowdrift without an actual house is tough.
Yeah, we don’t see temperatures anything like that cold. 🥶

At the boil, skim the hot-break. Add hops and boil. Toward the end, more hops, protofloc, and at flameout add some freshly ground coriander.

View attachment 61099 View attachment 61100 View attachment 61101

Then chill down, add the Belle Saison, and tuck up in the fermenting bucket at 26C.

View attachment 61102 View attachment 61103

Now the wait…
Top work.....l have been learning about low oxygen brewing( to help with Malt flavour.... And have noticed the hot break having a very white colour on the forum and luckily on my last brew too...mostly from underletting and sodium metabisulfite...

Top work.....l have been learning about low oxygen brewing( to help with Malt flavour.... And have noticed the hot break having a very white colour on the forum and luckily on my last brew too...mostly from underletting and sodium metabisulfite...
For the majority of beers low oxygen is good throughout if you can do it. No/low oxygen preserves hop flavour, preserves malt flavour, minimises off-flavours and discolouration from oxidation and slows stalling while in storage.

Mash hopping is one way of reducing the oxidation effects of metal ions produced in the mash. If you want to find out more do a search for “mash hopping” … or just ask 😉

I brewed that best bitter today as planned. The brewday went smoothly and was uneventful, I now have 21 litres of lovely bitter in the fermentation cabinet alongside the pale ale.

2E5069D9-E75C-4155-8D4C-53772530DF44.jpeg

The next brew will be an ESB but the weather is expected to be pretty awful over the next couple of days so I won’t get to brew it until at least Friday, maybe even not until next week.

As yeast is the key ...which did you try

I am going for a sweet For Extra Stout soon 7.1%......with Scottish yeast.....with a high finish ...69 mash temp.
Should be nice for cold winter nights.

Which winter style are you going for?.

If you need this yeast l will be banking it in a 50 ml tube.😉

Cheers Matt.
Heathfield.
Precision Panel Craft.

Yeast depends on the beer style but most often for English ales I use Mangrove Jacks Liberty Bell.

Darker/stronger beers are traditional for winter so will include bitter, ESB, porter, imperial stout, and strong Belgian ales. As a curve ball, mulled cider.

Is this the sold out Malt miller kit.....drinking broadside on a horrible night.....

Any special malts?.....

Is this the sold out Malt miller kit.....drinking broadside on a horrible night.....

Any special malts?.....
No, I don’t use kits because I like the process of designing and creating my own all-grain recipes. The malt bill is Maris Otter, Biscuit malt, Crystal 225, Flaked barley, Malted oats, and Torrified wheat.

Sounds good.... I do both ....if l,m too lazy l try a all grain malt miller kit ...

But this month's order was a designed FE Stout 7.1 abv.
The sold out malt miller kit ingredients looks good......😊

Mash temp ....67 or 68...for you're ESB.

Sounds good.... I do both ....if l,m too lazy l try a all grain malt miller kit ...

But this month's order was a designed FE Stout 7.1 abv.
The sold out malt miller kit ingredients looks good......😊

Mash temp ....67 or 68...for you're ESB.
Step 1 is 154F (67.8C), step 2 is 161F (71.7C), then mash out at 170F (76.7C).

Hi Hazelwood, enjoy following this thread :)

Question as an AG newbie. Have seen a few people refer to a 'mash out' temp higher than the starting mash temp. Are you increasing the temp towards the end of the mash? If so, what's the benefit?

Ta,
Dan

It is a step where you increase the temp to ideally above 75c but below 80, in order to denature the enzymes and sort of halt the conversion process.
Even though all the starch may have converted to sugar, a warm non-denatured wort will continue to break down longer chain sugar to shorter ones, so you sort of stop it at the "sugar profile" you want.

Useful if you have your brewday set up in a way like me, where I usually clean my mashtun and sparge bucket etc and have a 30-60 min pause between transferring wort to kettle and starting the boil.

Latest posts

Back