Hazelwood Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huh that's very interesting and what I was asking about. Do you think you will have any taste, carbonation or foaming issues flash freezing like that?

I shouldn’t have any issues - but we’ll see!

Pretty much all pubs use these coolers to chill their beer. It’s the recirculation system I’m using to cool my shed that they use to freeze those beer fonts and make them all cold and wet.

If it does give me an issue I’ll have to work through it with different sized beer line or different lengths, or maybe switch to mixed gas (Nitrogen + CO2).

I thought about it but I don’t think I will go there. I like my kegs as they are. The one thing I may well do though is fit a Schrader valve do I can gas them from my CO2 bottle rather than use bulbs.
I used Schrader valves for a while but did get the occasional freeze causing the valve to stick OPEN. A common problem for cyclists I believe. The corny post is much better option IMO.

I used Schrader valves for a while but did get the occasional freeze causing the valve to stick OPEN. A common problem for cyclists I believe. The corny post is much better option IMO.

The inserts are dirt cheap so I might just try it on two or three kegs for a while and see how I get on before committing. athumb..

Finishing off a couple of jobs.

Door insulated...
48C32F45-09D0-49A7-A2DD-9D2C58A9AB89.jpeg

Pipes insulated in the cooler box - that took 6 hours!
D64114F1-987A-433E-8C05-12689FD0DC71.jpeg

I do have another job to do and to be fair I did think it would be necessary. While working in the brew-shed on the pipe insulation the cooling came on and after about half an hour icy water started to drip on me - condensation from the heat exchanger. The new job is to add some guttering under the heat exchangers and pipe it to the outside. D’Oh!

Anyway, that can wait for the time being because I’m planning a brew. Yay!

Hmmm....been looking further at your plum porter recipe...is there a vast difference between the dark crystal and special B regarding flavour?
Been swotting...I can see what you mean now.

Last edited:
Malt descriptions...the dark crystal gives "toffee,almost burnt toffee" and the special B "fruit,raisins.."
I've got my forum choccy stout and a brown porter done...do I need another dark beer...I might get this on for January...

Latest posts

Back