Hazelwood Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would that be more of an American brown ale?
I'd split the batch and do what you suggest and the other half with challenger and fuggles..maybe!

What's your "vintage" threshold? I think anything over 6 months those hops will be lost...
I challenge you kind Sir! Make thy vintage ale and keep to the next Christmas.

I’ve kept a brown ale with those hops for about six months and that was great. The hops were not bright and shiny like a fresh IPA but matured and conditioned into something well blended and mellow. I’m hoping for the same here.

I’ve just sampled my latest batch of Summer Breeze - beautiful. The old batch has lost a lot of the hoppiness now so time to get that finished, there isn’t a lot left. This is the new batch, just over two weeks conditioned...

BBEF951E-EC91-4B81-8596-5F60204F80D4.jpeg

I bottled my summer breeze last night. How long before you start drinking it

What, you haven’t started yet? 😂

I’d say it’s good after two weeks and continues to improve for another month but the hoppiness starts to fade at the same time. Start at about two weeks, aim to finish within a couple of months.

It doesn’t suddenly become rubbish of course but 2-6 weeks is your sweet-spot.

Mine has this minute been dry hopped with the 60g each of citra and galaxy. The volcanic fermentation has subsided. I've got two night shifts to get done then will bottle on my days off,along with the pilsner AND hopefully get a brew on as the fridge will be empty. I wouldn't mind getting two on.

Mine has this minute been dry hopped with the 60g each of citra and galaxy. The volcanic fermentation has subsided. I've got two night shifts to get done then will bottle on my days off,along with the pilsner AND hopefully get a brew on as the fridge will be empty. I wouldn't mind getting two on.

The Bitter and the Tripel 😉

Double cold here in Essex, a good 6 inches of snow. I’m trying to collect RO water using the outside tap... wish me luck!

Yes, good luck with that!

I’m supposed to be doing the same tomorrow for a brew-day on Tuesday but I’m still debating with myself whether to leave it a few days.

I’ve just sampled my latest batch of Summer Breeze - beautiful. The old batch has lost a lot of the hoppiness now so time to get that finished, there isn’t a lot left. This is the new batch, just over two weeks conditioned...

View attachment 41057
Looks very inviting- have you posted the recipe before? I'm sure I've seen it, but can't find it..!!!

Looks very inviting- have you posted the recipe before? I'm sure I've seen it, but can't find it..!!!

Yes I have, here it is.

Summer Breeze
4.5Kg Vienna malt
500g malted flaked oats
250g Torrified wheat
75 min mash at 150F

10g Magnum Leaf AA=15.3% 60 min

1/2 Protofloc tablet at 10 mins
50g Citra leaf AA=13.6% at 10 mins
50g Galaxy leaf AA=12.6% at 10 mins

Cool to 165F for the hopstand
50g Citra Leaf AA=13.6%