Heads gone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveb

Reaction score
Batch started saturday,head forming sunday this morning nothing.
Do i have a problem?

A reminder to save anyone else going off and searching:
steveb said:
Youngs Harvester, followed all the instructions but tweaked a little by adding 250g of medium spray malt.

Sg is at 1046 and the room is at a steady 20c
... and if I may re-quote from another thread (because I love this post)
prolix said:
(Wherry) and most beers can be helped by a rouse after 24hr this is a gentler stir but some oxygenating helps (a few whips and then gentle like cheese sauce: raise the yeast from the bottom) but never after 24hr a bit like gremlins you will get a bad batch.

The problem is people think they have oxygenated but they haven't and so it sticks, beat the wort 'til you arm is in pain, it is good training for the lifting it will do when the beer needs dispatching.

Just in case people have not quite got the idea yet get an electric drill and a stirrer and spin that for 5 mins at 1400revs that is 7000 stirs that is oxygenated. A minute of hand stirring is what, 120 stirs and no good. Stir the bugger and stir again like it is bad beer and only a flogging will make it pure.

You can not over oxygenate

So Steve, did you give it a good whipping?

Not necessarily.
What are you brewing, what's the specific gravity and how warm is it?
Some yeasts give a head of yeast which doesn't last long and sinks, but keeps working :thumb:
Check the gravity of your brew using your hydrometer, it may have finished fermenting :thumb:
In warmer weather fermentation runs faster, it may be finished :thumb:

tubby_shaw said:
Not necessarily .... In warmer weather fermentation runs faster, it may be finished :thumb:
From 1.046 @ 20°C in 2 days, with Young's yeast?

(although the “it's sunk but still going” is more plausible)

Moley said:
tubby_shaw said:
Not necessarily .... In warmer weather fermentation runs faster, it may be finished :thumb:
From 1.046 @ 20°C in 2 days, with Young's yeast?

(although the “it's sunk but still going” is more plausible)
How is the OP holding 20C in this weather ?

sg is still at 1046 or just below bubbling like a loon in my tester jar !
Panic over??

tested this morning,sg is at 1006 ill monitor over the weekend then bottle monday.

Latest posts

Back