Healthy drinking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Posted this in the how many units thread, but thought it appropriate to post here as well.

Slightly different angle on this, I used to drink quite a bit, not every night, but most. Regularly split a bottle of wine with other half during the week, Friday Saturday Sunday, bottle of wine, few spirits. Holidays were all inclusive cruises, where food is top quality and drinks were poured out and seldom 'measured'.

Found I was just getting bigger and bigger, started feeling it as well. Last year was 64 and decided it was time to do something about it or I wouldn't be collecting my state pension!

Hated the idea of a diet, needed a fundamental change before it was too late, always thought I was pretty indestructible, had always been strong and reasonably fit and active.

Had a think about what was easiest way to cut down etc. Loads of stuff on TV or online, but needed something 'science' based that made sense. First thing, grazing, I was a terrible grazer, coffee always came with biscuits or cake. Portion size, whatever fits on plate. Supper, cheeses and biscuits. Wine/spirits beer, yes please.

July last year, decided now or never. It had to be a bit scientific for me, facts and not a just 'faddy diet'. So found out my Basic Metabolic Weight, which is the amount of calories you consume per day without doing any exercise. Mine (for my age and weight) was 1999. So, scientifically intake less than that, plus exercise = weight loss.

The way I did it, Monday and Thursday, limit intake calories to between 800 - 1000.
The rest of the week, limit myself to 1600 max.
Friday, weight recorded in the morning, then Friday was my day off, but don't go mental.

It was a bit of a pain at first, working out calories, but Mrs C helped, there's also an APP (My fitness pal) which links with fitbit watch, nowadays just takes a minute or two each day. But the biggest thing is not to con yourself or cheat or whichever way you want to call it. Yes you can have wine/beer bit of cake etc, but just add it to your daily intake and stick with it. I could trundle on for ages with the pros and cons ..... so rather than that I'll change direction a bit.

Since July last year, I have lost 39 pounds.

I still drink beer and wine, just not as much. I still eat what I want, just not as much. I don't graze and only rarely have cheese and biscuits for supper.

In July this year, I unexpectedly found a lump in my neck. 'Phoned GP who saw me the following day, then it hit the fan. I have cancer. The first sign was the lump, no other symptoms at all. Since then I've had a dozen consultations, 4 different types of scan, various biopsies and I had surgery last week. This is all being carried out, 'with curative intent' long way to go but can be cured.

The one thing that all those consultants/experts etc have continually said, good job you lost all that weight, the surgery etc will be so much easier for you and the outlook is so much better.

Seriously, it's only when the brown smelly stuff hits the fan you realise, you are not invincible. Luckily I took my head out of the sand just in time.

I think my timing was very lucky, starting this Way Of Life last year. Even with cancer, I feel tons better than I did, pretty sure I would've taken longer to recover from surgery and have given myself the best chance of surviving the next lot of surgery/chemo/radiation treatments.
I went on a health kick a few years ago and using my fitness pal I lost 5 stone. Then I took up running and gained a stone in muscle. Went from a size 38 trousers to my current size 30. I now run a minimum of 5 days per weeks and average 40-50k per week. I run distances from 3k races to ultra marathons. I try to limit my drinking to once per week but I can see that increasing now that I am brewing again. Still intend on keeping up with my running though as still got races instant to do and I really enjoy it.

Oh and swmbo Might not be chuffed if I get fat again.

I went on a health kick a few years ago and using my fitness pal I lost 5 stone. Then I took up running and gained a stone in muscle. Went from a size 38 trousers to my current size 30. I now run a minimum of 5 days per weeks and average 40-50k per week. I run distances from 3k races to ultra marathons. I try to limit my drinking to once per week but I can see that increasing now that I am brewing again. Still intend on keeping up with my running though as still got races instant to do and I really enjoy it.

Oh and swmbo Might not be chuffed if I get fat again.
Fat/Fit thereā€™s not too much in it.
50k a week !!!! I thought i was doing well on my bike!

I rarely have more than a pint in the evening, and certainly not every night, sometimes a couple on Sundays. What I do enjoy is a pub stop on the way back of a bike ride at about 2/3 total distance, then if i am hot and fatigued its a couple of pints at least. I will ignore the times we are away in the M/home - that's when the homebrew gets a hammering plus a glass or two of home made wine with dinner - Happy days

Fat/Fit thereā€™s not too much in it.
50k a week !!!! I thought i was doing well on my bike!
When I am in the mood I can easily be averaging 80-120k per week. My longest ever run was on west highland way, so up over big hills for 85k. Took me almost 12 hours, was gutted when it got cancelled this year and next.

I rarely have more than a pint in the evening, and certainly not every night, sometimes a couple on Sundays. What I do enjoy is a pub stop on the way back of a bike ride at about 2/3 total distance, then if i am hot and fatigued its a couple of pints at least. I will ignore the times we are away in the M/home - that's when the homebrew gets a hammering plus a glass or two of home made wine with dinner - Happy days
It's surprising the energy a few pints of ale provides. I like to add in a coffee or a coke as well for the caffeine hit.

When I joined the CTC as it was then some 40 yrs ago the culture then was to lunch at a Cafe - I soon changed that in the group I rode with much to the disgust of the tea teetotallers !

Latest posts

Back