hefe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No no , it will be good but your mash should be either 66c for 90 mins or better still 20 mins at 63c to give you a dry beer ( yep hefes are dry but taste sweet ish because low hop usage) and then finish off from 68c to 72c with a rest somewhere like 50 mins will do it . This will give you a nice dry wheat beer with a good body . Single mash rest are ok but lack a little mouth feel imo.
The other rests used with German malts will give you more or less clove and more or less banana and also improving head retention and helps the grain for the next stages , this is all for the benefit of the yeast ( hefe yeast) so you could get a spicy wheat or a full on banana wheat depending on how you mash .
The yeast will give you clove and banana but mashing enhances the outcome .

Cheers, will give it a go then as soon as a fridge is empty. What water to grain ratio should I use for the first temp?

Think that works out at 2.5l/kg for first temp then just over 3l/kg at the second.

NickW said:
Does this help against stuck mashes?
yeah Nick regular barley mash with 2.5 ratio while wheat mash with 3.5 and sometimes as much as 4 but not often . This will help against stuck mashes

Bizarrely I was thinking about two step mashes today, would it need to do the same for a belgian wit with 2.5kg each of wheat malt and pale malt?

I would do a wit say 30 mins at 63/64c then finish off at 68c for 50/60 mins Wants to be a little drier than a hefe and not as much body too . Flaked wheat is a great choice for a wit 50% pale ale 20% pale wheat 30% flaked wheat

Thanks Pittsy, I've got flaked wheat not wheat malt :doh:
I'm just going half and half with belgian pale malt (2row) will that still be ok?

Rivvo said:
Thanks Pittsy, I've got flaked wheat not wheat malt :doh:
I'm just going half and half with belgian pale malt (2row) will that still be ok?
My favourite batch of wit was with 50% flaked wheat and the rest pale ale ( you can also use pilsner malt too ) as you have it :thumb:

Just did a malt Miller order and got some carawheat . I presume this is preferable to crystal malt? Question is, do I replace it like for like in my recipe? :wha:

It's off topic but as I've already mentioned brewing a wit, could somebody tell me the correct pitching temperature and fermentation temperature please?

If using say wlp400 then pitch at 18c and move up to 22c after a day then either remain here or move it up to around 24c . I would also recommend a gentle stir every 3 to 4 days as it's a slow yeast ( 3 weeks needed if no stirring ) .

Using the safbrew wb06, obviously dried, should I rehydrate it and then treat as the liquid?

wb06 is a german style wheat beer (hefeweizen) yeast , is will produce clove and banana . A belgian style wheat beer (witbier) yeast will produce a slight clove and a tartness , no banana . These are 2 different styles of beer that require different yeasts .

Latest posts

Back