Hello all

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynchy

Reaction score
Hi my names James Lynch and I am a 25 year old PhD student from fife Scotland. I haven’t had much experience brewing as of yet but I did start brewing when I was 18, got some money and bought one of the starter kits, followed the instructions and got "beer" wasn’t great but drinkable. After a couple more kits got disheartened with the results so have not really brewed anything since I was 20. After getting a renewed interest in brewing I have been reading all a can get on brewing beer as I want to put the kit that I have to use other than gathering dust. After reading few things online I have got a hold of how to brew by john palmer (currently working my way through it) I have a copy of how to classic styles coming. After reading a lot of info I have realised that in my younger years I was impatient and have a sever lack on knowledge in brewing I have since realised the mistakes I was making and why I shouldn’t follow the beer kit instruction. I have learnt a lot from online forums, books and podcasts/videos (brewstrong, basic brewing, beer smith and brewing TV from northern brewer). I have started planning my first brew in years; I have enough kit to brew two 5 litre batches and was thinking about doing a deuchers IPA clone recipe I found http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/deuchar ... ipe-79551/ and a sweet stout recipe from a brewstrong episode. I also have a few demi johns that my dad has given to me so was thinking about doing a couple of smaller batches and would love for anyone to suggest a couple of styles or recipes from me to try.

Hello & welcome to the Forum :)

Sounds like you are already learning loads, I am working my way through the Brewing Network Pod Casts, there is loads to learn and they are rather funny as well :)

Glad the kits didnt completely put you off, I did a few bad kits back in the day but a renewed interest at the start of this year led me here and I havnt bade a bad brew since :)

:cheers:

Welcome to the forum,

I've not been here long myself and it's a friendly environment with lots of invaluable information :D

Welcome to the forum James :thumb:

Sounds like you have been doing a lot of research - you might like to consider contacting Dunfie - he is also in Fife and runs the Scottish Craft Brewers who meet regularly.

Thanks guys for the warm welcome, i have a couple of months yet to plan and learn more before i brew again. Does anyone have an suggestions for the small test batches that i am going to run?

Latest posts

Back