Hello Everybody from the West of Ireland

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayB

Reaction score
Just started getting back (properly) into winemaking after almost 18 years. Many years ago I dabble a bit around, but since I'm not really a great wine drinker I never fully got into it.
My taste buds didn't change, but I realised that I really like dessert wines and since my boyfriend/partner loves to drink wine we decided to give it a go again.
While he started with wine kits, I tried my hands on sweet wines/dessert-type styles and we soon realised that the so-called country wines (although taking longer to 'mature') are the ones we're really interested in.
At the moment we have A LOT of fruit wines either in the fermenting or maturing stage, such as banana, plum, spiced plum, ribena, pineapple, nectarine, grapefruit, different flavoured juices, etc.
I have a couple of Sauternes fermenting and another couple of dessert-style wines in the shed already maturing - and after the first tasting I'm thinking that this might go well - albeit I have to wait now aaaages..... but I really don't mind that! :-)
I'm always open for recipe suggesting for dessert wines and look forward trying them out!

KayB

Welcome. I like the sound of some of your fruit wines, banana etc. Are these from fruit or juices? If fruit would you be able to post your recipes up? I love the idea of looking at a fruit or vegetable and thinking, "I could ferment that".

The Goatreich said:
Welcome. I like the sound of some of your fruit wines, banana etc. Are these from fruit or juices? If fruit would you be able to post your recipes up? I love the idea of looking at a fruit or vegetable and thinking, "I could ferment that".

The majority is made directly from the fruit, such as banana, pineapple, plums, nectarines, grapefruit,etc. Some of them come from Aldi's Super 6 offer, bananas you get thrown after you when you go to Tesco, or the local SM, after 7pm. Some are used from tins (peaches, pineapple) and we only have a few fruit juice wines fermenting. All the recipes come from either CJJ's books, Jack Keller's Website (scroll down to the bottom), or some other wine books we have.
And yes, I also go with Tom How's motto: If it's not moving, ferment it! :D

Hi and welcome, you live in one of my favourite parts of the world, where in Ireland do you live.

I realise that Dennis. Sorry I couldn't resist, it just tickled me. :thumb:

I have a friend who has a house on the west coast, what a lovely place it is too.

:grin: Well, County Galway it is! And indeed, it's a nice place. Even nicer, because we have a local homebrew shop with great prices!!! :grin:

Latest posts

Back