Hello from Darlington

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smaug

Reaction score
I've just started brewing beer. I've got my first batch on the go now, hopefully ready in time for Christmas. The HBF looks like a great place to learn from experienced home brewers and maybe share my own experience eventually. Steve

Welcome Steve. Your favourite brew wouldn't be a certain bitter made by Felinfoel in Llanelli, by any chance, would it?
For most of my formative years in brewing I was well served for materials and advice by Patsy and (I think) John at Hop and Grape in Darlington. A legendary supplier. I was very sorry when they retired.
My opening comment was in fun, of course. What do you like to drink and brew?

Welcome friend! My brewing journey was greatly assisted by Darlington HB shop, not sure if it's still there? Good timing on the brew. Good luck.
Thanks, it's good to be here. I think you must mean the Hop & Grape which closed down a few years ago sadly. My Dad used to buy his kits from there and I brewed one or two from there myself quite a few years ago now. The nearest shop we have now is Allans Home Brew Corner in Middlesbrough. Cheers!

Welcome and sure you will find lots of help and banter in this forum. Good luck with the brew.
Shame about so many, or most(?) of the retail shops having closed down, but many suppliers online. I remember the many chats I had with the owners and staff when I did manage to visit a shop. Even 30 years ago it normally meant a long trek by car.

Welcome Steve. Your favourite brew wouldn't be a certain bitter made by Felinfoel in Llanelli, by any chance, would it?
For most of my formative years in brewing I was well served for materials and advice by Patsy and (I think) John at Hop and Grape in Darlington. A legendary supplier. I was very sorry when they retired.
My opening comment was in fun, of course. What do you like to drink and brew?
Thanks. I had to google the Felinfoel reference🙂. I've never tried it to be honest but I'll have to now. It's a shame the Hop and Grape closed a few years ago now, my Dad used to buy his wine and beer kits there.
I like to drink cask ales when I can, we have quite a few decent pubs in Darlington. I'm just intending to brew fairly traditional british style beers to begin with. I have a Geordie Winter Warmer kit on the go now so I'll see how that turns out. What about you? Cheers!

Thanks. I had to google the Felinfoel reference🙂. I've never tried it to be honest but I'll have to now. It's a shame the Hop and Grape closed a few years ago now, my Dad used to buy his wine and beer kits there.
I like to drink cask ales when I can, we have quite a few decent pubs in Darlington. I'm just intending to brew fairly traditional british style beers to begin with. I have a Geordie Winter Warmer kit on the go now so I'll see how that turns out. What about you? Cheers!
All grain for me. I'm brewing a "pale" mild at about 6,5% and 65 ibus. I know that doesn't tally with our idea of mild today, but it's inspired by historic recipes. My main reason for doing it is that I discovered I've got far too many fuggles kicking around in the fridge and I really need to use them up. That'll do for my winter warmer.
I've been doing a lot of experimenting with New Zealand hops and I got caught up in CML's idea of Tropical England- an all-English-ingredients beer with a distinctly New World flavour. So far, so good, it tastes like marmalade!

Welcome and sure you will find lots of help and banter in this forum. Good luck with the brew.
Shame about so many, or most(?) of the retail shops having closed down, but many suppliers online. I remember the many chats I had with the owners and staff when I did manage to visit a shop. Even 30 years ago it normally meant a long trek by car.
Thanks Klaus, it certainly seems like a really friendly forum and I'm looking forward to being part of it. Yes it is a shame that so many shops have shut down they were good place to get advice. I'm going to try and use the nearest shop but it is a 30 mile round trip. Cheers!

All grain for me. I'm brewing a "pale" mild at about 6,5% and 65 ibus. I know that doesn't tally with our idea of mild today, but it's inspired by historic recipes. My main reason for doing it is that I discovered I've got far too many fuggles kicking around in the fridge and I really need to use them up. That'll do for my winter warmer.
I've been doing a lot of experimenting with New Zealand hops and I got caught up in CML's idea of Tropical England- an all-English-ingredients beer with a distinctly New World flavour. So far, so good, it tastes like marmalade!
I might try all grain eventually But I'm going to start with kits and work my way up.

I might try all grain eventually But I'm going to start with kits and work my way up.
It's the way many of us start, and then, perhaps, to extract and malts that don't need mashing. Never saw the point of partial mash, though. And so on to all grain as kits and extract are expensive.

Latest posts

Back