Hello from France!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrumpyman

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Just thought I'd introduce myself on here. I'm an expat currently living in south western France near the Limoges area (absolutely TONNES of apples in my area!)
I've been lurking for a while as despite living in an area in France with HUGE apple orchards on my doorstep, I have been unable to find any "proper" scrumpy cider like the kind I used to enjoy back home. I used to live in Dorset and it wasn't particularly hard finding a decent pint locally. Over here, zero, nadda.
Sooooo, I've just recently acquired a massive old traditional apple press that is very old, probably well over a 100 years old that despite the wood being a bit worse for wear, the mechanical side of things are perfect and will outlast me. Ive never quite seen anything like it before and it's ridiculously over built and heavy. The torque that thing can generate is simply mind blowing.
Anyway, thanks the acceptance! Happy to be a part of the community and hopefully if all goes well, in a few months time, I'll have a few decent pints of my beloved dry, scrumpy cider to drink! :cool:

No Scrumpy? Tell me about it. I have mine shipped in from Sandford or Taunton or whatever visitors can get hold of. I'm from Dorset, too. Used to drink Hecks' at the Square and Compass, as well as Charlie's home made.
No shortage of cider here in Brittany or in Normandy either, but it's all cidre bouché, which I sure is good, but it ain't scrumpy. It's like asking a Guinness drinker to live on lager!
Good luck with refurbishing the press, but you'll need a scratter, too. If there's a big metal wheel on the outside of your cider barn then that's an indication of a belt driven system to power all sorts of things including a scatter.
Keep us up to date with how you get on.
Oh. West Country cider depends on the apples, too, but you should be OK if you get a good mix of varieties. I put a couple of Yarlington Mill, some Dabinet and a stokes red in some years ago and I'm still waiting for a decent crop.

Back