Hello from London

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed H

Reaction score
Brewed a few kits back in the day but wanting to get into something more serious now - hoping for some advice on partial mashing.

For me it's all about the porters - particularly anything smoky - and anything on the sharper end of the craft sphere (hope that's not frowned upon here!)

Cheers! :cheers7:

Welcome! Plenty of partial mashers around here, but soon you'll be an allgrainer! :cheers7:

*one of us! one of us!*

I'm hoping to move that way - just need a bit more kit (and more idea to match all the gear).

Stupid question but is there a difference between partial and "extract brewing"? I'd thought I was tooling up to do a partial mash but from reading the guides and posts here it sounds like I'm doing something more like extract brewing..

I'm hoping to move that way - just need a bit more kit (and more idea to match all the gear).

Stupid question but is there a difference between partial and "extract brewing"? I'd thought I was tooling up to do a partial mash but from reading the guides and posts here it sounds like I'm doing something more like extract brewing..
The difference lies in where you get your fermentable sugars from.
Extract brewers get the sugars from extracts (sometimes they use grains, but those are for color and taste, the amount of sugars is negligible), the partial mashers get a lot of sugars from steeped malts (and also from extract).

Latest posts

Back