Hello from sunny Scotland!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highland_dave

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello! I am new to all this homebrewing malarkie, so I thaught I should introduce myself.
I have made a few kit alchopops and lagers before, but wanted to start making real home brews. I am currently making some WOW (questions about that in a sec) and a ginger beer.
Now, I am a total newbie, so im sure what im doing is probably totaly wrong, but here goes - for my ginger beer, I have made a concentrate from 600g of grated ginger, 3 lemons, 1 lime and 600g sugar then made it upto 5 litres wich is currently fermenting like a lava lamp. What I intend to do is kill the yeast off after fermentation and add 5 litres of lemonade and bottle it up. Im hoping that this will make something good that wont explode? I dunno for sure.
My WOW looks as it should according to the guide on here (but I did use white grape, pear and apple juice rather than just white grape juice as its all the Tesco's had) , but I do have 1 question - It has been fementing now for 2.5 weeks. At first it was very fast and furious, but now it has settled. For the last week and a half, it had bubbled once every 30 seconds rather than stopping? is this normal. I know the guide says to be patient, but 2.5 weeks is a long time, no? when should i move to the second stage?
Cheers for now, and please be gentle! I am a noob.
Dave

Hi and welcome Dave.

I am no expert but my WOWs generally take at least 3 weeks but usually 4 to finish fermenting. What temperature is your WOW sitting at? The lower the temp the longer the fermentation process but the better the final product. Mine are generally at about 18C hence the longer fermentation process.

highland_dave said:
I know the guide says to be patient, but 2.5 weeks is a long time, no? when should i move to the second stage?
Cheers for now, and please be gentle! I am a noob.
Dave

Check it with a hydrometer, it's the only real way to know whether fermentation has hit the target gravity for dry.. medium etc whatever your aiming for.

Welcome to the Forum...

:cheers:

Back