Hello from the Cambridgeshire fens!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve just returned to home brewing after a long absence (decades). I also used to make cider but in recent years only apple juice (unfermented!) Our house was once a pub (Pub closed in the early 1900s) so it seems appropriate to be making beer here (Although it’s “coals to Newcastle” in a way as there are already couple of good breweries in the village!)

I’ve only used kits so far and will probably make a few more kits before trying more advanced techniques. Now drinking a Wilko Kit brown Ale that I started fermenting at the end of April....followed the 2+2+2 formula I learnt from this forum.

I’ve got a Young’s Harvest mild carbonating now and a 30 pint Youngs Harvest Stout in the fermenter. The mild had to be moved from the house during the hot weather in mid-May so I set up a fermenting fridge with a tubular heater and temperature controller in an outhouse that is now referred to as “The brewery”

Next step after the kits will be something different.......My partner’s 90 year old mother would love me to try to recreate her long-dead husband’s beer recipe. (This recipe has not been used for nearly 40 years.) It will be a challenge especially as the yeast he used is no longer obtainable.

Finally I have just built an iSpindel from a kit of bits, it’s running and now needs calibrating so the next brew will be easier to monitor.

Looking forward to participating in the forum, I’ve already learned a lot from reading through past posts.

Hi and welcome mate, I'll be interested to see how your Young's kits turn out as I've got a Young's Harvest lager in carbonation at the moment 😀athumb..

Hi and welcome mate, I'll be interested to see how your Young's kits turn out as I've got a Young's Harvest lager in carbonation at the moment 😀athumb..
Hi, checked the SG on the Young's Stout last night, still needs time to finish fermenting but had a swig out of the trial jar and I think it's going to be a good one!

Latest posts

Back