Hello from the Porkbeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porkbeast

Reaction score
Hello every one I'm new to the forum, so i thought I would introduce myself.

I'm Porky and am 48 years old and have been brewing on and off since i was 16 when i bought a blue bucket and 8 pint larger kit from Boots. It tasted of plastic and was horrible but I never looked back really.

I tend to brew country wines from my garden and cider from kits. Just finished drinking a Magnum Pear cider kit which was really good (I did not add the pear flavoring though as i lost it - probably for the best) and have just started a John Bull cider kit which is just becoming drinkable after three weeks - was a bit eggy to start with.

I am a keen gardener and a bit of a herbalist - Apple-Mint wine is a fave - and I make home remedies and incenses which I love burning in the summer garden.

I love rock and reggae music and play guitar (fend Strat plus at the mo) and have been in a few bands over the years. I was a pro for a short time in the 1980s and have a few rock and roll stories that I still dine out on.

I currently have 2 gallon of Gooseberry and two gallon of apple maturing from the garden as well as a gallon of rosehip just started, again from the garden. Not made this for twenty years but I remember how good the last one was. I did not bother waiting to the first frost to pick them as recommended in my old recipe book.

I have been growing a tender herb called Lemon Verbena for a few years now and it has the most exquisite citrus lemon taste and hope to make a gallon of that next - just make a gallon of herbal tea out of it and then add minced sultanas, tea and lemon juice, nutrient (i have been experimenting with tomato puree) and away we go (with sugar and yeast of course).

Anyone tried this before??

My nearest home brew shop is miles away in Syston Leicestershire and not a great selection. I would like to get some more magnum kits but mail order postage is prohibitive. I would also like to try and make some cider from apple juice.

I look forward to participating in the forum and sharing some of my past successes and failures.

All the beast

Porky

Snort!

Hey porkbeast, nice to meet you! :cheers:

Heard about the lemon verbena but have never come across it.

Fender strat eh? Nice! I had a copy made for me once by Gerry Bix (Bix Guitars - ever hear of him? Bloody good guitar maker)

Welcome Porky, I used to have a lot of lemon verbena, but alas, it vanished. I blame the local kids. Love kids, although I've never been able to eat a full one :lol:

Nice to meet you all and thanks for replying,
posting.php?mode=reply&f=12&t=10739&sid=106c384940a83d073b307930407e261e#
Just been to the co-op and they are selling Ribena at half price in Syston Leics (1.50 a lt. that's enough for 2 gallon) I don't know if that is nation wide as all the co-ops are separate due to their mutualist histories.

I saw a recipe for Ribena wine in an old CJ Berry book I have called Winemaking with canned and dried fruit that cost 5 shillings in 1969!

The recipe is 12oz of Ribena, 3lb sugar half tsp. of citric acid, nutrient and yeast for 1 gallon - you have to heat the juice to 80 degrees for 10 mins to drive off the sulphites apparently. Going to give it a go in a minute - and rack off the gooseberry and apple.

I once made a gallon from this book using two tins of whizzed up Prince's Peaches and it was superb! Must try that again as you can get tinned fruit in syrup dead cheap from some pound shops not to mention Aldi/Liddle.

I have a five gallon glass carboy outside that I'm just dying to fill this week and I must get some more cider on.

All the beast

Porky

Snort!

PS Yeah I have heard of Bix guitars though i have never seen one. The Strat is cool - a 1989 with Lace Gold pickups - If you want to see and hear it check out my last (now defunct) band's myspace here http://www.myspace.com/stressbitch Kerranng!!!

Iv'e just checked that 1 lt is just over 35 fluid ounces so one bottle of Ribena will make 3 gallon!

If you're buying Ribena, make sure you get the original sugar-packed version and not the ‘light’ or ‘no added sugar’, which are loaded with artificial sweeteners.

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Thanks! I have just checked it and its the real stuff. Think I might buy one more, make a gallon and if its good bung on five using what is left because this is cheap.

Cheers
Porky

Latest posts

Back