Hello Windows 8.....bye Windows 8

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or Linux, no service packs no updates no need to fanny about with anti-virus software. Just switch it on and it does what it says on the tin! And, Support is there via the support forum for any version of Linux you have - probably a lot quicker than MS Windoze support centre.

brewtim said:
Once you Mac, you won't go back :-)

I have to disagree, I no longer have a Mac or an iPhone, Windows 8 PC and Android phone and tablet for me now.

My step son has abandoned all apple products as well.

markmark said:
for young app lovers it is probably great. But for a business machine it is utter crud.
You've got that right. Boss bought his missus who is the admin in our office £700s worth of touch screen laptop a couple of weeks back (which tbh she didn't really need) and as per, being the techy nerd in the office it landed on my desk to get it installed with all the usual. 2 hours of effing and jeffing later it was lashed onto a shelf in the office where it still is today (+ a coat of dust). She's still using her w7 laptop.

Wtf are you supposed to do with that as a business machine? Every W8 PC should ship with a note to your boss from Microsoft explaining you've done feck all for the last few days cos they tried to morph your new work PC into a smartphone.

Also heard that about the 8.1 version today. Had to laugh. Welcome back our buddy the start button. :lol:

just to weigh in on win 8- its ***** and no amount of we're sorry and look we've fixed it will save it for me, its too late for all that, windows 7 all they way- or ubuntu

seriously made a dual boot netbook for the little bro with latest ubuntu or win 8- (hes used to win 7 gaming rigs) he picks ubuntu everytime- best bit was it was free!!!!

LeithR said:
Or Linux, no service packs no updates no need to fanny about with anti-virus software. Just switch it on and it does what it says on the tin! And, Support is there via the support forum for any version of Linux you have - probably a lot quicker than MS Windoze support centre.

Except all the Linux dweebs I know seem to spend half their lives discussing which version of it to install next week...
Yeh yeh, I know, I used to work in the industry, it IS better, but it's not quite as switch-it-on-and-go as (earlier) Windows.

I liked NOS, but that only runs on obsolete CDC mainframes

brewtim said:
Once you Mac, you won't go back :-)

I don't intend to Mac. Not after the problems my aunt had with hers. Most of them were issues which, on a Linux or Windows PC, I could have resolved within a few minutes, such as a faulty DVD-ROM (n.b. I am NOT a computer whizz!). But because her computer is a Mac she had to send it away for a week each time. That meant for a week she couldn't do any of her own work, the administration work for my uncle's business, or her own personal stuff.

Two years ago I upgraded to my first smartphone, and when I compared the hardware specs on the iPhone 4S and the phone I now have (an Experia Arc S) the iPhone just couldn't compete - and it would have cost me several hundred pounds more up-front!

Apple's stuff may be good, but IMO it's seriously overpriced and, if something goes wrong, it's much more hassle to fix.

Bring back windows 95 I say.

(If only for the fact that it reminds me of my first PC at home)

They'll never catch on these computer thingies!! :shock:

Moby said:
They'll never catch on these computer thingies!! :shock:

The head of IBM said something similar in (I think) the 1950s. He thought the maximum world demand for computers would be no more than a handful per continent.

oldbloke said:
LeithR said:

Except all the Linux dweebs I know seem to spend half their lives discussing which version of it to install next week...
Yeh yeh, I know, I used to work in the industry, it IS better, but it's not quite as switch-it-on-and-go as (earlier) Windows.

Ubuntu is... I bought a £250 Acer laptop that came with Windows 8... Installed Ubuntu 12.4 over it, great machine now!

Granted, some in-depth research is needed to fix minor bugs using Terminal and hand writing commands, but all in all pretty good.

LibreOffice (aka OpenOffice) and a ton of other free apps. Firefox browser and Thunderbird for email.. All free.

There's even a free App called BrewTarget which helps with recipe formulation. Rudimentary compared to something like Brewersfriend, but still ok.

Windows, good on a tablet, good on a phone, gash on a PC.

Still on windows 7 but I'm debating a windows 8 phone.

There used to be a joke that Microsoft would make a **** operating system so that the next one (when the software and the average PC spec to operate it had actually moved on) would look even better. Its not considered a joke anymore because every other windows os has been a pile of cack. Windows 9 should be a belter.

Macs are great if you are happy having compatability issues with 80% of the rest of the world. We had a fair few macs at university. They were always empty as people would rather queue for a windows PC than risk their work not working somewhere else they needed it

Windows 8.1 downloading as I write, so we will see in a few hours whether it's made a difference. It can't get worse, can it? :wha:

I would never have believed that M$ was going to follow in the shade of Ubuntu until they released W8, Ubuntu's unity (I call it uNUTY_) interface was totally slammed by Linux users as being totally unusable and only suitable for phones (sound familiar W8 people ?)
I haven't used Ubuntu for several years now, happy with Linux Mint and no silly phone desktops either.
I installed LM on a Levenno laptop a month or so ago, straight on, everything works without any tweaking or patching needed, wifi, trackpad probably the fingerprint reader but not tried that.

Just been having a laugh on the Register, about 8.1 being released. A 3.5GB download for EVERY PC you have 8 on, no you can't install it on to a dvd and install to all from there, so if you have 3 w8 pc's and want to "upgrade" them you have to download 10GB at slow speed as the servers are loaded :wha:

As to
oldbloke said:
Well variation is the flavour of Linux, I don't chop and change, been on Mint for 5 years now, I do upgrade to latest version after installing a test version, but still using same distro and on Mate desktop (Gnome 2 like) so my desktop looks pretty much the same as it did last year, bar the fact I now use twin monitors :lol: As to "switch-it-on-and-go" I spent 2 DAYS trying to get W7 to install on a DELL it just wouldn't see the sata card I had installed, put on Mint and was ready to go straight away. See my comments about the laptop as well.
And with Linux you can usually test it out by way of a Live DVD/usb stick to see if it works on your hardware without having to install first.

microsoft really can't connect with thier users can they? first the content lock on Xbox One that was swift removed after horrific pre sales, and now a quick change of tune with the win 8 interface. it's madness, they need some new brains at microsoft who can make a friendly and intuitive GUI, and the whole reason I use windows over anything else is that at the moment it's powerful but simple when you need it to be.

I've said before that Vista drove me away from M$, when my new(ish) printer and scanner wouldn't work in vista, it wouldn't get an ip address on power up and a few other issues, meant I moved to Linux instead of staying with XP.
Can't say I have missed it, no virus issues, no malware problems, FREQUENT updates (no waiting a month for a fix to a major problem) and loads to learn again :cheers:
I run XP in a VM, but it hasn't been "booted" for months just no need to. Mind you I don't play games (much) and mostly surf and do emails, with some dtp. All of which can be done on a live cd if need be.

Maybe you guys are happy giving your hard earned dosh to M$ but they will never get a penny from me again.

RobWalker said:
microsoft really can't connect with thier users can they? first the content lock on Xbox One that was swift removed after horrific pre sales, and now a quick change of tune with the win 8 interface. it's madness, they need some new brains at microsoft who can make a friendly and intuitive GUI, and the whole reason I use windows over anything else is that at the moment it's powerful but simple when you need it to be.

The big computer companies really cant win though. They try to inivate like microsoft and they get told people hate the new stuff and preferred the old. On the other side of the coin you have apple who's updates are almost identical to the last version and people complain about that. No one seems to have got that improved performance over the last version with a few useful new features balance yet.

hairybiker said:
As to "switch-it-on-and-go" I spent 2 DAYS trying to get W7 to install on a DELL

Yebbut Windows isn't aimed at people who install OSs on hardware, it's aimed at people who take a machine out of the box, plug it in, switch it on, and go.
If you do anything non-OEM, you're not the target demographic.

Yet MS still stuff it up on a regular basis....

DOS5 was OK.
ish

Latest posts

Back