Hello

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ifor

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here, but have been home brewing, (kits only) for over thirty years. I have 7 pressure barrels and about 100 old style quart bottles and well the same number of pint bottles. I'm currently only using the pressure barrels. I'm one of the many with old 35 litre soda stream cylinders (the last of my 8 cylinders in just emptied) who are looking for alternatives.

Cheers,
Ifor

Welcome to the forum

I bet you have noticed a change in the beer kits in the last 30 years.

piddledribble said:
Welcome to the forum

I bet you have noticed a change in the beer kits in the last 30 years.
Thanks for the welcome. Yes, kits have certainly changed over the years, but some of those names from long ago (e.g. Geordie & Tom Caxton) are still around and producing good kits. The biggest change to the way I use them is that I now never use granulated sugar; invariably I make up with spray malt. If I had the time and the space I'd love to give proper brewing a go. Years and years ago I once followed David Lyne's recipe for Worthington White Shield, starting with the yeast from the real thing, and it worked out really well. It's the only time I've brewed "with ingredients".

I think a lot of those familiar named kits are no longer made by the same people. Many of the old names seem to have been bought up by Muntons.

rpt said:
I think a lot of those familiar named kits are no longer made by the same people. Many of the old names seem to have been bought up by Muntons.
Very true. I get on well with the Brupak and Woodfordes kits in particular.

Latest posts

Back