Hello

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oh mad one

Reaction score
Just saying hi. I'm a complete beginner to beer-making and just joined this forum in the hope that I might learn more about brewing. I've ordered a brewing bucket with lid and faucet which is wending its way to me, I have a few packets of Gervin Yeast, and what I'm hoping to do is to make something a bit unusual.

I enjoy visiting microbreweries and buying craft ales - I know all the good ones in my area. I tend to prefer hoppy IPAs and bitters with slightly tangy esthers in them. I can buy excellent ones, and I know I can't beat the masters at those sorts of beers.

What I can't buy (anywhere near me) is something called gruit ale. The idea of gruit ale intrigues me, and I would like to try a few experiments in making a (safe to drink) beer which has been bittered without using any hops but with traditional herbs, roots and barks. I would also (eventually) like to try my hand at brewing with bread, but, initially, it seems I'll have to play it safe with malt extract.

These are my plans. I'll post some questions in due course. Nice to meet you.

Hello Pagala. You're new to brewing. Before doing the weird stuff, learn to brew. If you like hoppy ales then start making hoppy ales until you're happy with what you're making. As for gruit, have you tasted it? Some of the many botanicals used in antiquity will give you more than a good headache. Why do you think you can't find any? I wonder if Froach falls into that category!
Welcome to the forum. I think you'd be happiest reading Randy Mosher, perhaps a kindred spirit.

Thanks for the great welcome guys. I'm positive I will learn lots of stuff here, and here is where it will all start for me, thanks to the wealth of knowledge and experience I can see on the forums.

Excellent advice An Ankou! That makes perfect sense, i.e. learn the basics before getting creative. Seems like a really good idea - getting a batch or two of an acceptable brew before playing with the formula.

Latest posts

Back